Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marabou vs Rooster Tail?
[font "Courier New"][#000080][size 3]What are the pros and cons of each? In my logic (which isn't always very logical), I would think the Rooster Tail would be "best" overall because it would make sound/vibration with the little spinner that can tap against the head (cylinder type thing) which could attract fish from farther than eyesight no matter how bright it was.

Both are praised for catching trout, but I don't do trout. I'd be using these for crappie, bass and other panfish.
[/size][/#000080][/font]
[signature]
For fly fishing, Rooster would be more for bait fish like Matuka's but marabou undulates like a leech. A more fluid movement. Is that what you are asking?
[signature]
[font "Courier New"][#000080][size 3]Um... yes? LOL I'm asking, because I haven't any idea at all what I need to know!

I don't fly fish. This would just be regular angling - cast and reel in a still body of water (though I may start trying river fishing...just not fly-type)
[/size][/#000080][/font]
[signature]
I would think it would be the same for jigs. The Rooster is just a feather. It could give good movement. More rigid.
Marabou is more fluffy.
[signature]
The first thing I think of when you say rooster tail is the in-line spinner. If you are talking spinners then I would suggest staying a way from the rooster tail brand, I have had lots of problems with the blade not spinning. I have never used marabou spinners but I would think they would work really well, Meps makes a good line up of them and you can never go wrong with a Meps. With that said I prefer using Blue Fox vibrax spinners, they have always worked the best for me hands down.

Hopefully you were in fact talking about spinners and I didn't just waste your time [Smile].
[signature]
[font "Courier New"][#000080][size 3]I hardly ever talk about brand names, when I discuss lures. About the only ones I even recognize is Rapala for crank baits and Berkley Gulp for the fake/plastic worms.
I'm poor, I buy whatever's cheapest, no matter what brand it is.

By "rooster tail", I mean it has a little disk (spinner), a cylinder-shaped 'head' and a feather. Marabou is a feather too, just without the metal disk/spinner.

I'm still a newbie to all this fishin' junk! LOL
[/size][/#000080][/font]
If you are looking for the action from marabou and the vibration and flash of a spinner blade then you should check out the blakemore roadrunner. They come in an assortment of colors and sizes. Some you can slide on plastics and some come with fixed bodies with marabou. You could find them in the catalogs of the large companies like probass and cabela's. I have caught lots of panfish on them. gshorthair
[signature]
I think the same thing as others on here. If you are using a spinner with a rooster tail....see pic 1, then that works great for prettty much everything, maribou is more fluffy and has more action with less reel. They both have their places. I think the rooster tail works better as a lure. Maribou makes a great jig...slow reel....as Pat, he has some cool new ones.

Rooster Tail....[url "http://image.basspro-shops.com/images/images2/77500/77933d.jpg"]http://image.basspro-shops.com/images/images2/77500/77933d.jpg[/url]
[signature]