Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with baitcast reel
I recently bought my first baitcast reel. First I'm having trouble spooling the reel. The line doesn't stay tight to the spool and gets loose when I cast it. Secondly the reel won't reel in when I put pull the line just a little bit. Can someone tell me why this is happening
[signature]
Welcome to the board! Where are you located?

Well first to understand you. It sounds like when you cast you are ending up with a birds nest correct? To avoind birds nests you need to train your thumb to hold the spool as you cast. As soon as the bait hits the water stop the spool with your thumb. Also on the side of your reel you will find a couple of dials. One is the magnets. Set it to the tightest point to start with and as you get better loosen them up. Another small dial will help you with the baits. Put a bait on and open the bail. If it falls fast then tighten it up so that when you let the bait fall it falls slowly and smoothly. This will also help your casting. Also what type of line are you using? This can have an effect as well. Also the star on the reel is the drag. Tighten and loosen as needed. Try tightening and see what happens. Hope this helps.
[signature]
What kind of line did you use. I used vanish on a reel once. I had nothing but problems with it. But sounds like your drag is not tightend. Also I wouldn't go any lighter than 12lb test dia. on a baitcaster.
[signature]
I'm using 15lb test of zebco line. To clarify, when I reel in just the handle spins, the line doesn't wind back up. I can keep spinning it and nothing will happen
[signature]
Tighten the drag up. Sounds like it is too loose.
Not sure where you live but if you are somewhere in norhern utah I can hook up with you and see what is going on with the reel. I own three baitcasters and love'm. Need to get a new one to replace one that is missing parts that hold it together.
[signature]
How do I tighten the drag
[signature]
On the handle of the reel you will see something that looks like a star next to the reel housing. This is the drag. Take and turn it to tighten or loosen the drag up.
[signature]
If the drag didn't work, it could also be a problem with the line not "biting" into the spool.

This happens a lot with Flourocarbon lines. A quick fix is to lay down a Monofiliment "backing." What you do is this; start spooling with a Mono line, and then splice into the Flourocarbon (I personally use a Double Uni knot).

Also, with all of you using Flourocarbons, they like to backlash easier than other lines. Be quick with the thumb to prevent 'em.
[signature]
Also I should mention, that when you spool up, you should keep slight tension on the line at all times, to be sure that the line is nice and uniform.
[signature]
When I spool up a reel I use a line winder, keeps tension on the line and really nice to have the line stripper also... well worth the cost... Here is the one I use
[inline "Berkley Line Winder.jpg"]
[signature]