Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DEC To Host Youth Fishing Program In Albany
In conjunction with spring break for many Capital Region schools, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation's (DEC) I FISH NY program will conduct a free youth fishing program at the City of Albany's Six Mile Waterworks April 5-9 from approximately 10 a.m. to 2 p.m each day.

Six Mile Waterworks is home to Rensselaer Lake, which contains a variety of freshwater fish species including: largemouth bass, sunfish, yellow perch, chain pickerel, brown bullhead and most recently, rainbow trout. For the second year, DEC will be stocking the Waterworks with approximately 1,900 catchable size rainbow trout prior to the week-long program.

"Studies have shown that one of the barriers to learning to fish is the lack of fishing opportunities close to home," DEC Commissioner Pete Grannis said. "This week-long event will provide Albany area residents with an opportunity to learn more about the great fishing here in the Capital Region - which we hope will hook them on a lasting appreciation for the sport."

Albany Mayor Jerry Jennings said: "The sport of fishing is as popular as ever, and the stocking of Albany's Six Mile Waterworks provides a wonderful opportunity for people to utilize this beautiful natural resource. I especially hope that our younger people will take advantage of the free programs to be offered over the school vacation period which will provide more meaningful activities for their enjoyment and learning."

Expanding fishing opportunities in urban areas is just one of the I FISH NY program's objectives to increase fishing participation in New York State. DEC Fisheries staff will be on hand during the week in the late morning and early afternoon to offer advice and assist youth in learning about the sport. Loaner fishing rods, bait, bobbers and hooks will be available. Supplies are limited, so people are encouraged to bring their own fishing equipment if they have it. Informational materials will also be available about local fishing resources, fishing basics and fish identification.

Library Fishing Rod Program

Albany residents can also participate in a program through the Albany Public Library that provides fishing rods for loan. The main branch at 161 Washington Avenue has a limited number of fishing rods that are available to library card holders. This initiative is also part of DEC's I FISH NY program to bring fishing resources to urban communities.

As a reminder, anyone over the age of 16 must possess a valid freshwater fishing license. Licenses can be purchased on-line ( www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6101.html ), at town clerk offices, and DEC headquarters at 625 Broadway in Albany, as well as at most sporting goods stores.

Six Mile Waterworks is off of Fuller Road between Washington and Central avenues. For more information about the Six Mile Waterworks event, contact Greg Kozlowski with DEC's Bureau of Fisheries at (518) 402-8896.

Media Contact

Maureen Wren (518) 402-8000