Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nightcrawler Hunting
When I was a kid I had some kind of worm shocker. It ran from a 110 v electrical outlet and had wires to a series of Ice Pick looking things that you poked into the wet lawn. You plugged it in and the worms would come to the surface. Of course you would get a slight shock sensation if the grass was really wet when you stood on it or picked them up.

Does anyone know if someone still makes these or where I can find one at.
[signature]
Make it yourself, you just described it. Get a copper welding rod, put some wooden handles on em, solder the wire to em, and you are set. Only problem is that the crawlers tend to die quickly when shocked.

Better way is get a hardwood stake 2-2 1/2 inches in diameter, drive it into the ground 8-10 inches, then take a hardwood board and rub it on the top of the stake. The vibration will drive the worms to the surface. The area has to have been watered heavily.
I have made one using jumpers and metal rods off my car while it is running you dont need that much voltage to get em up.

I have also used laundry soap on the grass and hose it down to bubble it up.

OR you can always "GRUNT" them up!!! i want to try grunting. need a wood stake and a scrap metal piece.
[signature]
Here are a couple of links to past threads on this. We haven't had any trouble keeping the worms good all week long after shocking them out of the ground. For what it's worth.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=322629;search_string=shock;#322629"]Link 1[/url]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=201549;search_string=shock;#201549"]Link 2[/url]
[signature]
Saw that episode on dirty jobs. a couple of wooded stakes. seemed to drive the worms crazey.
[signature]
Easier than all that stuff is to go hunting for them on the nights of the first few warm (60-ish) rainy days of spring. It's still cold enough for them where they won't be able to dash into their holes, and you can bucket hundreds. They've already been out, but our next few rainy nights I'm gonna whack enough to fill the fridge in the garage.
[signature]
thanks guys, I think Ill try the hardwood stakes first. I did get shocked all the time with the shocker.
[signature]
i always thought, and i think was the case on "dirty jobs" that when grunting worms up with the woooden stake, you needed to use a metal bar to vibrate the top of the spike with.

I could be wrong, but i would hate to get all the stuff out there to find out i did need a good peice of metal....

I have always been shocked when I got the shocker too man....LMAO, its simply shocking. that is why I opted to use the car battery, even though it is the amperage that kills you, I dont mind less voltage either. it is the difference of having you hair tingly, or simply blown off your head.... think of the Grizzly bear in the movie "the great outdoors" with John Candy when he give that Grizz a shotgun blast to the backside.... NO BUENO!
[signature]
Wasnt those worms on dirty jobs the only kind of worms that responded to that? I thougt that guy said that. You want nightcrawlers, come out to my house after a good rain, I got them giant ones coming out. Thinking of starting a worm bed with them.
[signature]
Yeah shock those worms from out of the hole, but I would rather just grab them the old fashion way.

I personally have found using BB guns for huntin' nightcrawlers is a great waste of time. I always miss and I have to have a friend hold the flashlight for me.

22 caliber rifles work but they split the worm in half and its too dangerous to shoot after dark.

I tried even loud heavy metal music...but all you get are nieghbors that complain.

Once even tried black magic....nope no results.

[:p]
[signature]
Have you considered making your own worm farm? It's easy to turn over top soil and mulch to get some fat wigglers and you can put in a few different varieties for different uses like small red worms for trout or monster crawlers for cats. You would also have a large patch of moist soil which would be a great asset for testing your lighting machine on your subjects. Think of them all groveling before you. HAHAHA....MWAHAHA!
[signature]
Ya I have thought about burying a cooler or something to raise a few in. But I never got any further than that.
[signature]