Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MN. Preseason trout action
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2][Image: rvrscene14710.jpg][/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2] [/size][/font]
[size 2][font "Times New Roman"] Many folks ignore the trout streams until the day when they can legally put a fish in the creel. If you are one of these, you may be passing up some of the best fishing of the year. [/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2][Image: lndedtrt14710.jpg][/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2][Image: trtfight14710.jpg][/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]I find that the winter and early spring trout season is the best time to get into a lunker trout as well as get a handle on where the better trout action is to be found. Lots of great photos of great fish can be more meaningful than a freezer full of dead ones and a whole lot less expensive than getting one mounted. Don’t get me wrong, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with stocking up on your legal limit of tasty trout fillets, but since it’s a good idea to return those trophy sized fish back to the stream, why not get out and hunt for them in water that has been almost untouched since last fall. [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2][Image: fightfinsh24710.jpg][/size][/font]
[size 2][font "Times New Roman"] Business had kept my head down until early afternoon at which time my wife had persuaded (wasn’t hard) me to get out and purchase a much needed pair of wading shoes. Well you just can’t expect a man to get a new pair of water tennies and than not get them wet, so even though it was past four I pointed the old van south and headed for the Root.[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2][Image: bigbrn14710.jpg][/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2][Image: bigbrn24710.jpg][/size][/font]
[size 2][font "Times New Roman"] Lures and bait don’t catch fish, fish are caught by fishermen, lures and bait are merely the tools they use![/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Great tools used properly make fishing productive and fun! What you put on the end of your line is never as important as what you put on the end of your pole.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2][Image: landtrt14710.jpg][/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2][Image: rainbowlnd14710.jpg][/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2][Image: bigbrn34710.jpg][/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2][Image: brntrt34710.jpg][/size][/font]
[size 2][font "Times New Roman"] In early spring the Root River downstream from Lanesboro can produce some huge trout action, but this is big water and to handle it I like to use big tools and because of today’s conditions I decided to use a Silver Big Bow spinner.[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2][Image: trtlnd14710.jpg][/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2][Image: Brntrt14710.jpg][/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2][Image: brntrt24710.jpg][/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Where I decided to fish, the water was just slightly high fairly clear and surprisingly cold, 44 degrees. [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]A very wide, deep river combined with clear water made long casts desirable and the cold temps made silver a likely choice of colors. The Silver Big Bow spinner seemed to be just the ticket.[/size][/font]
[size 2][font "Times New Roman"] It was around 5:00 when I entered the water so time was a factor. I had been casting and wading for nearly forty five minutes before I hooked my first trout.[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2][Image: trtlnd14710.jpg][/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2][Image: fightfinsh14710.jpg][/size][/font]
[size 2][font "Times New Roman"] I was about thirty yards downstream from a small island and casting the large spinner into the area where the two branches of water that flowed around the island came together.[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2][Image: islandend14710.jpg][/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2][Image: trtfight24710.jpg][/size][/font]
[size 2][font "Times New Roman"] It was a fair sized Brown and he slammed the big spinner with a vengeance! From that point on the faster water flowing around the island seemed to be holding a good quantity of large trout and the action was fast and fun![/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Until next time..[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Stay low, slow and with the flow, and don’t go without your Bow![/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Spindoctor[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]For all your Bow spinner needs, please visit the following fine bait and tackle merchants:[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Minnesota[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Gone Fishing in Rochester [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Elba Valley Express, Elba, in the White Water area[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Curt's Bait and Tackle in Preston [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Magnum Sports in Chatfield[/size][/font]
[size 2][font "Times New Roman"]Root River Outfitters in Lanesboro[/font][/size]
[size 2][font "Times New Roman"]Tri-State Bait & Tackle in La Crescent[/font][/size]
[size 2][font "Times New Roman"]Axel’s in Waterville[/font][/size]
[size 2][font "Times New Roman"]River Valley Outfitters in Wabasha 651-565-2326[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Maple Springs Campground and Country Store by Forestville 507-352-2056[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Wisconsin[/size][/font]
[size 2][font "Times New Roman"]Anglers Nook in Lancaster[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Captain Hook's Bait & Tackle in Genoa, 608-689-2800[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Jack's Tackle Shop, 923 main St. Cashton, 608-654-7775[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Schnitzler's Sports Store, in Sparta, 608-269-2686[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Iowa[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]And now at SPORTSMEN’s UNLIMITED located at 866 Allamakee St., in Waukon, Ph-563-568-4955[/size][/font]
[size 2][font "Times New Roman"] Ozzie’s Outdoors in Decorah (temporarily closed due to moving)[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Illinois[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Franks Bait Shop, 621 North Dixie hiway, Momence, Ph-815-472-6638[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Colorado [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Your Fishing Partner in Idaho Springs[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Roaring Fork Outfitters Inc. in Glenwood Springs, 970- 945- 5800[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Jonah’s in Jefferson, 719-836-0289[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Three Rivers Resort in Almont 1-888-761-FISH[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]11 Mile General Store of Lake George, 719-748-3424[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Pomeroy Sports in Aspen, 970-925-9589[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]American Hunting & Fishing Supply in Salida, 719-530-0725[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]River Bend Resort on the Big Thompson River by Drake[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]You can also see and purchase these fine spinners by e-mailing me at eggersco@netzero.net[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Stores and shops wanted.[/size][/font]
[signature]