Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alaska Fly Fishing
Fly fishing Alaska for Alaska Trout and Alaska Salmon is a sport of it‘s own. It takes patience and skill to learn and plenty of free time to practice. Though bait fishermen scoff that snobs use flies, while Fly Fishing Alaska, as an excuse to keep bait goo off their hands, Alaska fly-fishermen approach the sport with an almost mystical reverence. Perhaps that's because learning to catch Alaska trout and Alaska Salmon, while fly fishing in Alaska, is a complex process bordering on religion. Yet it is one of the fastest-growing sports in the U.S., now embraced by over 1,000,000 fisher people.

The type of Alaska Fly Fishing Flies we use for Alaska trout fishing and Alaska Salmon fishing are Black Egg Sucking leech, Crystal Purple Egg Leech, Sucking Bunny Leech, Purple Egg Sucking Leech, Egg Sucking Crystal Bugger, Purple Egg Sucking Crystal, Brown Sculpin, Olive Sculpin, Woolhead Sculpin, and the Alaska Dolly Llama.

If the Alaska fly-fisherman is lucky, the passion becomes manageable, second nature, like tying knots in the dark, reading a deep Alaska river or Alaska stream by an undercut bank and knowing where the Alaska trout and Alaska salmon are holding and which Alaska fly to use. But having gone through the novitiate, Alaska fly-fishermen are never the same again. They scan Alaska rivers, seeing water but imagining the life underneath. They concentrate for hours, Zen like, watching the Alaska Midnight Sun dance on the Alaska Rivers, gazing at Alaska streams running over moss-covered rocks, searching for the sight of an Alaska Rainbow trout, or Alaska Salmon, that near perfect fish, as it fins and darts, drifts and feeds in clear Alaska water. Those visions take hold while Alaska Fly Fishing, and simply won't let go.

[url "http://www.akfishermanschoice.com/"][Image: cb502e8807d9d874108d38d9877f81b5.gif][/url]
[url "http://www.akfishermanschoice.com/"][Image: 9f70b2364731d0c0211fcdd15d3316be.gif][/url]
[signature]
Queen,
I have a couple questions for you!
If I plan on fishing for Kings what weight rod should I go with??? is a 9 or 10 weight necessary?
I could justify buying a 7 weight rod being I could use it on my home waters still, other wise it may be in my best interest to borrow or rent one for the few days I plan on being there? suggestions?

Also would a 6 weight be adequate for most other river fishing up that way?? Rainbows/Silvers

I hate to purchase a 9/10 weight just for the occasion but I would also like to be able to land one of those beauties!

I plan on being up that way during the heart of the King run and would like to make the most of it!
But ultimately I just look forward to seeking out the rainbows!
Thanks in advance!
Tight lines!
Kris
[signature]
If I plan on fishing for Kings what weight rod should I go with??? is a 9 or 10 weight necessary? If you use a 7 wt, it is doable, but be prepared to humbled if you hook onto a 45 lb+ fish. *A 9 would be better, but if you have to go out and and buy one, I wouldn't unless you are going to be using when your done with Alaska.

Also would a 6 weight be adequate for most other river fishing up that way?? Rainbows/Silvers yes! You will have fun with the rainbows and silvers.

I hate to purchase a 9/10 weight just for the occasion but I would also like to be able to land one of those beauties!
It would help land it, but like i said above*
I plan on being up that way during the heart of the King run and would like to make the most of it!
But ultimately I just look forward to seeking out the rainbows!
I take it your coming to fish the Kenai River?
If that's the case, you may want to invest in a 9wt.
The fish down on the Kenai are alot fresher and bigger than the ones we get up in the Mat-Su valley.
Even if you get an inexpensive fly rod, and it breaks "on your second fish" at least you landed a nice one with it.

Hope this helps.
[signature]
My father-in-law is taking me on a guided trip to the Kenai area! Fly fishing isn't really his thing so it may be interesting!

Each day is set up, one day is fishing for halibut, two days fishing for kings, a fly in and a couple days on our own!
I am hoping I can use my fly rod as much as possible, but my best bet will be the fly in, after the guided trips and on my own?
Halibut on the fly rod I think I can pass on and I'm guessing the king trips are hard tackle? I have a feeling the guides may find me silly for always wanting to break out the fly rod but hopefully I'm wrong.
I'm not really sure?
I cant complain I'm just going along for the ride!
Cheers!
[signature]