Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Erie Perch
Going to lake Erie this weekend and fishing for perch at Presque Bay. I think we will be fishing the peir where the channel to the mail lake comes in. Looks like saturday is gonna be the coldest day of the week, which is not a good thing. Hopefully the perch still bite, ill keep my fingers crossed. Anyone ever fish up there for perch this time of year? If so where and what did you use??
[signature]
Hell with 20 foot waves . Just take a surfboard with ya !!...LOL Good luck and besafe BPG. Let me know how ya do up there
[signature]
Well i just looked at the forecast and they are calling for 7 to 8 footers with a 50% chance of rain. im not taking my boat so im not really worried about the waves lol. We r fishing in the bay which will never see them 8 footers. The worst i ever dealt with in there was 3'. anyway i hope we catch something. there is 7 of us so it should be a good time. right now everything is turned on up there. Pike, bass, crappie, perch and i even heard of a few steelhead being caught in the bay yet. Ill let you know how things pan out. Im taking a camera so i hope to get some pictures. If i get a chance i will take a short video of the main lake with the waves. The funny thing is i have actually seen people surf out there. So there ya go jeff you can bring up your board lol.
[signature]
Well we did not get many fish but its not like i did not expect that with the cold front moving through. However we did have a good trip. Fishing from the shore was good because i got to see alot more of the area and i found some more places that i can sneak my boat into a month from now when i go back up again. O well ya win some ya loose some lol. It was still better than being at home remodeling.
[signature]
Howdy there BPG.
Glad to see ya had a fun time on your trip to erie. I got on the river sun with a friend of mine and we did pertty darn good . I found some good fish out of the wind and we crushed them caught over 30 smallies in a 100yard stretch on suspending jerkbaits. With the cold front the bigger smallies were deeper so i tide on my deep diver jerkbait and was catching some bigger fish . It seemed like the bucks were a little shallower and the bigger fish were deep. So with a windy day we did good.
[signature]
Glad to hear you had a good day. Thats the think with presque bay, the smallmouth really have not started to come in just yet. There are some there yes but not the numbers that will be there in a month or so. Yeah i was really upset about not taking my boat, cause i really wanted to get out to the channels of the bay and give it a go out there and see what would of happened. The think about erie is that when a cold front moves in the fish simply stop. You may get one here and there but its really hard fishing. I never seen a lake lock up like that one does when a cold front moves through. O well im sure i will make p for it on Memorial Day weekend. Speaking of that, are you gonna come up with us Jeff?? We are leaving early the 28th (friday) and coming home the 30th (sunday). I promise if you come you will not regret it.
[signature]
I would love to go up to Erie with ya . But ill be in VA that weekend to see my sister. So not this time. Were going down there to do a walk for MS. We do that every year. My wife has MS so we always do the MS walk down in VA with my sister and it makes for a great weekend . Last year they had 2000 people show up for the MS walk its a great thing. to be a part of . Have a good one take care !
[signature]
O thats cool. Me and my dad do the relay for life. My dad is a cancer survivor so we believe in funding the research to make that possible for other people living with cancer.

I will also be up lake Erie June 25th to the 27th so if you don't have any plans keep that weekend open as well. I never fished the bay in the summer but i heard that june is a good month to go up. That time of year the main lake is usualy very calm and you should be able to go out and fish the deeper water for the big smallies.
[signature]
hmm only perch we ever caught off the pier so to speak was white perch. never once caught a yellow there. We used minnows and just threw it out and fish the bottom. I think last year in may we caught about 60 white perch between me and the misses. average about 8 to 10 inches. got to throw it out far enough with decent weight cause there is alot of those mussels on the bottom near the pier. u will get tangled alot.
[signature]