Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kayak fishing gear
Ive heard alot about how great kayak fishing is and i want to get started. The only problem is that I don't know what I need! If you guys(and girls) could help me that would be great[Smile]! I have a budget of $1,000 including the kayak...[crazy]. The kayak doesn't have to be fancy just something to carry me gear and hopefully a few fish!! Thanks for your help!

- basser119
[signature]
Basser119

My best advise would be to do alot of internet research (Reviews, Reviews, Reviews) on different Kayak types, prices, etc. Find a couple you like and see if you can test them from your local dealer.

The most used type of Kayak in the fishing world is a SOT (Sit On Top) Kayak. These have scupper holes to drain any water that may come into the kayak via fishing lures, fish, paddle, and flipping [shocked]. They are also safer in my opinion than sit in models, because if you flip you just fall off, instead of have to push yourself out of the kayak. This is a plus for beginners.

I use a Pelican Castaway 116. Just google it and you'll find a ton of reviews and pictures, etc. Some give it bad reviews others give it good reviews. In my personal opinion it is a great yak for beginners and the normal weekend lake fisherman like myself. Another plus to it is I picked mine up at Gander Mountain for $449.99. Which leaves you an extra $500 on your budget to trick it out! (Which you won't need) The Castaway comes with three rod holders, a hole on the center console (covered by a rubber gromet) which works perfect for a fish finder install, dry storage behind the seat, big bow storage, and a "bed" so to speak on the stern perfect for tackle boxes, buckets, etc. Its not made for Oceans, fast moving water, etc. but for the normal lake and pond fisherman trying to get to those prize spots where normal boats cant its perfect.

I picked up all the equipment I needed from Gander Mountain including the Kayak and had a total of $700, thats Kayak, Paddle, Paddle and Fishing Pole leashes, Fishing PFD, and extra D rings for mounting bungies, and cliping the leashes to, also I bought the 2 year protection no questions asked replacement plan for the yak. The only thing I didn't get and am getting soon is a Fish Finder, and on your budget you specified thats plenty left over to get a good waterproof fish finder to install on the yak.

Alot of people and maybe even yourself may disagree with my choice of Kayak, but I've had no problems with mine what so ever (Knock on Wood [angelic]) and the good outweighs the bad. Its stable enough for me and I'm 5'11" 220 lbs. Beleive it or not no water comes up through the scuppers with my weight either, and the maximum capasity for the yak is 350 lbs.

Good luck on your choice and welcome to Yak fishing! The main thing is getting what you like, and what is functional to you, and what is in your price range. Getting out there and having fun on the water is what its all about, not who has the most expensive and greatest Yak on the market! [cool]

P.S. On the reviews just remember to keep an open mind, some companys pay people to write bad reviews about a competitior, and others pay them to right good reviews. Just remember if its too good to be true it probubly is, and every company will have a few "bad apples" that slip through the cracks and make someone a unhappy camper. Pelican has a good reputation for Customer Service should something be wrong with your kayak once you get it.

Happy Fishing hope this helps!
[fishin]
[signature]
If you are just getting started in kayak fishing you might want to take a look at a great new book that covers all the bases. "Kayak Fishing" by Jon Shein is a great book that is not sponsor driven. Jon has been kayak fishing for a very long time. He was the original owner of Kayak Fishing Stuff and now is co-owner of the Kayak Fishing Magazine. I would say that Jon is a very good resource regardless of your experience level. Check it out at
[url "http://www.kayakfishingbook.net"]http://www.kayakfishingbook.net[/url] and I know that it will help.
[signature]
[Smile]Thanks for the help guys!
[signature]