Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signaling devices/the horn!!!!
Ok after TD's post about being harassed by the rude power squadron I decided to get a horn for the toon. Yes you might say I over did it and a small whistle will do fine, but hey I am gonna have some fun on the reservoirs where the squadron lives.

Fist thing I did was visit my local Harbor Freight and obtained one of their Oooga horns. Great price too. Then I hit the hardware store for some wire, Radio shack for a switch, and Auto zone for an inline fuse.

I had to make a switch box for the switch. I used 1'2" PVC. The parts are a small piece of 1/2" PVC, a cap, a plug, and an adaptor part. It is a total of 3-4 inches in length. None of it is glued so that I have access to the switch if repairs are needed. It is a flat switch that is activated on push only and stops on release. I had to solder two pieces of wire to the switch then attach the quick clips to the ends for attaching the battery wire.

Then I attached the horn to the rack on the toon using a 1/2" T cut in half. The horn has an attachment screw with it and all I did was attach a cap to that for quick mount. It is made to come off when not needed. A small 1-2" piece of PVC finishes the mount. I attached the switch to the handle and then fed the wires to the battery and to the horn.
[signature]
Yeah Just a little over board....
[signature]
Yeah, but it was fun putting it together and I will see how it works out on the water.[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I don' need no steenking horn.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I gots it handled.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[inline "PWC SMACKER.jpg"]
[signature]
That would work, but I would rather stay out of jail. Any way I am ready to make lots of noise when they come around then snap a picture to go with it.[cool]
[signature]
I like it.. lol.. it will certainly get their attention..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
That is the idea then I can get their best side on film so that the fish cops can see their Smiles when I give them the pic.[laugh]
[signature]
But they have to be breaking the law...they aren't if they are just wakelessly drifting by you.
And with that sound going not only through your pontoon, but down your fishing line...gonna effect your fishing as well, or I should say catching. The fish would take off as well to me.
[signature]
True true, but then I am not really on planning on using it unless in an emergency situation anyway.[cool]
[signature]
Drifters aren't as much a problem as the jet ski buzzers or bass boat wake creators. They may not be able to hear the horn over their engine noise?
Don't want to get in a game of chicken with a power squadron member that's DUI, which is usually why they buzz you anyway. Something to tangle their prop would be more useful, seems to me.

Pon
[signature]
Oh by the way the horn has a 10 db rating. When I tested it out yesterday I got all the dogs in the neighborhood barking.[Image: happy.gif]
[signature]