Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cormorants get repreive
for years the cormorants have gotten a bad rap for being the culpret for devistating the perch population.

Today on PBS, a program was on about the fight of invasive species,

They labeled Gobie and Zebra mussels as the cause for not only the loss of perch but kings shinooks coho browns and other species in lake huron.
[signature]
lets see if i remember this right...zebra muscles cover up the spawning areas and the gobys eat the zebra muscles how can they both be to blame?
[signature]
they boat eat the fresh water zooplanton and fresh water shrimp that all of our native fish need to survive.

They also included the non native invasive Quada Mussle wich thrives in depths where the zebra mussels and gobie dont.

So its a one two three punch.
[signature]
now they did not come right out and say the cormorants were not guilty, the just offered the insite of what is going on in the eastern great lakes.

I for one knew it was not the cormorants because we are missing perch and gills and other species where there are no cormorants.

While fishing for stergeon I found the only to keep the gobie from attacking your bait is to use them as bait. Otherwise those things are renlentless bait stealers.
[signature]