Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Beginning
Hey everyone!

Okay so I have gone fishing several times throughout my life, but it has always been with another person's rod. As such I really didn't know much about rods until recently when I began to read about them. Why have I began to read about them you might ask. The answer is simple, I am taking up the hobby of fishing! As such I need to obtain (buy) myself a rod, but I really don't know what would be good. So I come to humbly ask you here.

I do know for sure I will be doing some pier fishing, quite a bit probably. I have a 6-12 lb medium action fishing rod that is about 6' and spin casting. This seems somewhat acceptable, but I noticed a lot of people on the pier had bigger rods (some longer, some thicker) and they were pulling up some fish 1'+. Now I didn't have much luck hooking anything, I think that was due to some errors in my rig setup, so I am not sure if my rod is really acceptable for this kind of fishing.

I am eventually planning on trying out some other areas while fishing, so I was wondering if I were to get another rod what should it be? Would a 10-20lb fast action 7' rod be acceptable for the pier fishing and, eventually, future river or lake fishing? I would prefer my investment to be somewhat multi-functional.

Also are baitcasting reels worth learning to use? Do they provide any bonus over a spincasting reel?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
[signature]