Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bit the bullet!
Well, after a month or so of testing rods I finally decided which rod I wanted to drop the coin on. I fished sage (Z-axis 5, 6, and 7wt), orvis (helios 5wt), ross (essence FC 4, and 7 wt), and reddington. The rod I chose to drop the big coin on was a Helios 5wt 6.5 mid flex. I paired the rod with a Ross Evolution LT #3 with Rio Grand line (for now). I got the rod about a week ago, but didnt get the reel until today due to some back-order issues at ross, but the final rod/reel set up is like a match made in heaven to say the least!

I also ended up buying 2 ross essence fc rods in a 4 and 7 wt. These rods are an amazing feeling rod, and i'd recommend them to anyone who is interested in a high end rod for a great price!

Thanks to everyone who gave me input on my old post! It helped a bunch in my decision making.
[signature]
I predict that after fishing the helios for a while it will spoil you making all other rods obsolete. I predict a yard sale on all other brands and that you will eventually end up buying a helios in 4, and 7 weight. That 7 would cast like a 5 wt sage. Just my opinion. I have seen it happen to a couple guides already. I am kinda scared to buy one myself besides going broke on one I just dont want to ruin my love for other rods. That being said good choice I dont think you will regret it. Just wait.....[sly][fishon][fishon]
[signature]
[quote FOD]I predict that after fishing the helios for a while it will spoil you making all other rods obsolete. I predict a yard sale on all other brands and that you will eventually end up buying a helios in 4, and 7 weight. That 7 would cast like a 5 wt sage. Just my opinion. I have seen it happen to a couple guides already. I am kinda scared to buy one myself besides going broke on one I just dont want to ruin my love for other rods. That being said good choice I dont think you will regret it. Just wait.....[sly][Image: fish-on.gif][Image: fish-on.gif][/quote]

+1
[signature]
[quote FOD]I predict that after fishing the helios for a while it will spoil you making all other rods obsolete. I predict a yard sale on all other brands and that you will eventually end up buying a helios in 4, and 7 weight. That 7 would cast like a 5 wt sage. Just my opinion. I have seen it happen to a couple guides already. I am kinda scared to buy one myself besides going broke on one I just dont want to ruin my love for other rods. That being said good choice I dont think you will regret it. Just wait.....[sly][Image: fish-on.gif][Image: fish-on.gif][/quote]

Yep! I just ordered two new Hydros (Helios with different hardware), a 6wt and an 8wt, for some heavy chucking and saltwater. I suspect there's a 4 in my future too when I get the credit card back to zero.[:/]

Orvis hit a homer with these rods.
[signature]
Aww man Im Jealous [Wink] Ive been wanting a Helios or Hyros for a few years now but im saving for a house [crazy]

CONGRATS ON THE NEW OUTFIT
[signature]
Come on you don't need a house. You could get at least a dozen helios rods with that money[Wink]. I agree Helios is a great rod. I have a midflex 6wt and love it. I need a 3 or 4 wt Helios or Hydros to use here in Utah. Maybe I can rent a room out of my house to cover the monthly payments.
[signature]
Great rod for sure, but I would never sell my Winston for more. They all have their own personality.
[signature]
I'd NEVER give up my original, soft, 3 and 4-wt Sage Light-Lines for anything either. They're still my number one go-to's. They're an extension of my arm, perfectly suited to the casting and fishing I do for trout. But, those just don't exist much any more, and the ones that appear on Ebay go quick for a high price. The Helios/Hydros are certainly more versatile and lighter though.

I love the Winston action too, especially the "progressive" ones from 20 years ago. Unfortunately, I no longer have any, and those that still exist sell for a price higher than most new premium rods.

Aaah, what an addict will do for just the right stick!
[signature]
I always felt that Winston was one of the Only companies that stayed true.
That those out 20 years ago are still around.
Like the JWF, the LT, the Tom Morgan, however I heard they were discontinuing the WT which is a big mistake.

Sage had the older DS then the LL then the SLT all killer but alas, no more.

Good thing about Orvis, is you can pick a particular rod. The weight, the color whatever. And then it is how long and how many pieces then to top it off, what flex/action.
They really do take the guess work out, that is for sure.
[signature]
+1

I still use my Sage 386LL as my primary small fish rod. It seems to work without any input or thought from me. I have to think and pay attention to what I am doing with my other rods.

I haven't used a Winston - yet- I'm looking for a new 8 weight for steelhead and salmon so maybe I will check them out.
[signature]
I have the 8 wt BIIx. The feel of a 5wt. Awesome rod. I haven't tried steelies, but CARP Yeah baby!
[signature]
[quote riverdog]Come on you don't need a house. You could get at least a dozen helios rods with that money[Wink][/quote]

Im 100% in agreement with you on this but every time I tell this to my girlfriend ( she helping save on the house) I get dead silence and the your sleeping on the couch look. [crazy][crazy]

Arrrrg [Wink]
[signature]
I currently have a well used Loomis GLX #8. I was looking at the Loomis Streamdancer and the Sage Z-Axis. I will make it a point to look at the BIIX. Have you had to use their warranty?
[signature]
Question I was over at the Orvis site dreaming of a Hydros rod and seen they come in different flex's ? .. there a Flex Index some are mid flex 6 7 tip flex 7 8 ect ect

what are the numbers for ? and is mid flex similar to medium action and tip flex similar to fast action rod ???
[signature]
Fly Flicker. I have used the Winston warranty once. The ferrule wore out on the Lt. No problem in fact, an extra $75. and they sent me an extra tip.
I won my first casting contest. I had a choice of the Z-Axis or the BIImx. Well, what can I say, I like Winston. However, it was a very tuff choice between the ZXL and the JWF[Wink]

Sinergy, the lower the number, the more flex. Ex: a 4.5 is a full flex and going to be similar to Bamboo.

6.0 is a medium action, 7.5 med-fast (also my favorite next to the full flex) Much like the Winston WT/JWF and the Sage SLT.
Tip flex 9.0 and up are going to be more the BIImx or Z-Axis. Big bugs and wind.
Orvis just makes it so simple...no names, no special letters to get the fles...,just ask for it....LOL
[signature]
Now I just have to wait until monday to use it again... its going to be a LONG weekend to say the least.
[signature]