Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reel question
hey

So my uncle just gave me a used but restoreable Orvis SSS 9-10 fly reel. It needs a new drag adjuster knob and some clean lube but that's about it. My question is ..... right now it is a right hand retrieve, can this reel be set to left had? I fish left and would prefer it that way but I guess I can learn right if need be.

thanks a ton
peace
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]Hey Jim most fly reels can be used either right or left handed. In which direction one spools on the line will make the difference. However, I'm not sure whether this will work with your particular reel.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
this is an old anti- reverse model so I can only spool it one way (no knuckle banging on this one). It is an old but very good reel that I would like to use. I can use it left in its current setup but I will have to reel in reverse

peace
jim
[signature]
Can the bearing be flipped?
[signature]
hmmm not sure. Any tips on how I would go about that? I can take the reel down for cleaning but I am not sure how to really disasemble it for something like that. [:/] I can always give it a shot.
[signature]
Your reel may not be the same but the bearing sit around the spindle. [url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvSt4A_NDEU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvSt4A_NDEU[/url]
[signature]
thanks
[signature]
Decide which hand you will use to reel in the fly line. Fly fishing tradition has usually dictated cranking the reel with the hand used to do the fly casting. However, this requires switching the fly rod from the left hand to the right or from the right hand to the left. Using one hand to fly cast and fight a fish and the other hand to operate the fly reel has more advantages than the traditional switching-hands method. so its ok to to used your left hand.
[signature]
I was always (and we are talking like 50 yrs) cast with dominant hand (right for me) and reel with left.
Salt water and some old school (as you pointed out) will still cast with dominant, then switch to fight fish as you said. Reason on saltwater is you can reel faster with dominant.
[signature]
just a side note... when we went shark fishing last year I cast with the right and retrieved with the left... thats what Im use too... but what I did notice that made it easier for me to do that is that the retrieval knob on the reel was larger on the salt reel we were using than the standard freshwater reel I normally use...

personally Id find it very disctracting to cast right then switch hands and reel right... too much movement.. [Smile] ...

MacFly
[signature]
Here is the straight skinny on this reel. It was manufactured by a high quality reel maker named STH of Argentina. Essentially it is the same reel as a STH Eliseo fly reel. Originally, and still, quite expensive. It is designed to work in only one direction because it has a disc drag and can only be changed at the factory (unlike most fly reels). The drag is adjustable on the spool side instead of the frame side (again, different from most fly reels) The best thing to do is contact Cortland Line Company ([url "http://www.cortlandline.com/"][/url]www.cortlandline.com[/url]). They own the rights to these reels and they service them in the US. The reels have a lifetime guarantee and you can usually mail them to Cortland with a $10 or $20 return postage and handling fee and they will rework the reel for you. They provide super customer service and it may be worth your time to give them a call before you ship it to them. This reel would be well worth the expense to have them refurb it, even if it costs a little more to change the retrieve direction.
[signature]