Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what kind of fish is this???
my buddy and I went fishing on the cowlits river near I-5 last weekend and pulled a bunch of these little guys out. just wondering what they were, im thinking some type of trout, maybe steelhead smolts or char or something? thanks in advance for any help!
[signature]
Got a picture for us?
[signature]
oh yeah, that would be helpful.

[Image: 33be7sx.jpg]
[signature]
Well...that is a trout of some kind, but its hard to tell exactly what kind it is. Its looks like a rainbow (steelhead) but I'm not familar with the area so I'm not sure what kind of fish live there.
[signature]
looks like a rainbow to me. I would ask around to see if they stocked any and if they stocked fingerlings. just looks like a fingerling to me. basically a baby trout
[signature]
That is definitely a rainbow. Looks like a female. The jaw doesn't extend past the eye and look at the tail fin and lateral line those are dead giveaways.
[signature]
and being a steelhead is a sea run raibow..........
SMOLT?
[signature]
I fish Caterpillar Island on the Mighty Columbia, not too far from where you are fishing, except I am on the Washington side. I catch them once in a while and wondered what they were and an experienced fisherman was putting his boat in and I caught one and asked him. He said it was a stealhead smolt also. I was going to cut it for bait and he told me he thought it was allowed. The regulations in this state are so complicated and cumbersome I would not be surprized at any reg anymore. It almost keeps me from fishing at all, which is what I think the whole point of so many restrictions is.
[signature]
Yep, i would say that is rainbow too.

Btw, I don't know about you guys but with the fishes that i catch i don't eat or sell them i just put them back... =\
i only keep them if im planning on eating them that night.
[signature]
that is a trout the pic im small so i cnt tell w/ exact type tho. nice fish
[signature]
Wow !!!
Yeah I really liked those pics. Would have been much better if you could some more of them. It would be so nice of you.
Keep posting........
Regards
Stuart
http://www.neusportinggoods.com
[signature]
i thought this kind is a family of trout fish.
[signature]
No doubt, she's a rainbow.

[Image: 101_0096.jpg]
[signature]
[quote slumpbuster]my buddy and I went fishing on the cowlits river near I-5 last weekend and pulled a bunch of these little guys out. just wondering what they were, im thinking some type of trout, maybe steelhead smolts or char or something? thanks in advance for any help![/quote]

baby trout, for sure
[signature]
Definitely a Rainbow Trout. They don't get their pink band until they are older, and that one looks pretty small, so that suggests that it is a young trout.
[signature]