Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opening Day Trout season at Proud Lake Rec
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]again another opener has come and gone, Ok, so today is day two... LOL

This season's opener is like fishing in a bucket, "I mean litteraly"

the water level was at it summer time stage because of the lack of 3 inches of rain that we are short of this season.,

this caused the trout to be congrigated in holes, If you could find a hole and not be tempted to stand in the hole and chase the trout out, you would at least see some even if you did not have what it takes to hook up with one.

Again this year, Proud Lake Rec, "Friends of" put on a hot cakes and sausage breakfast, and was selling hot coffee, coco and snacks right at the dam pre dawn.

The trout planted this year were not shabby to say the least, the most common question was what was the minimum size this year, and I could honestly say to them you have no wories about catching an under sized trout this year, nothing under 2lbs was planted this year. everything averaged 2-5 pounds.

I had arived late because I was putting together a last minute nightmare of a project that I had waited untill the last minute to build.

all the good spots had been filled by 10pm the night befor the season opened at midnight.

again the party was grand, saw no knock down drag out fights.

unfrortunatly this year the camp grounds was closed down because of upgrades being made. New electrical had been run through the camping area and all though the park. "new components means there is at least a short term future for the park"

not all the trout was caught on the opener, seldom are they ever, so you can expect to see a few swimming up and down river for the next couple weeks.

even if you dont make it out to Proud Lake Rec, get out to and suport your local park befor some state official decides to close it down and sell it off to suport thier retirement fund.
[/size][/#000000][/font]
[signature]
Wind and rain put a damper on us here in my hood , couldn't get a proper roll cast out let alone shooting for a good 20'-30' cast .
I'll do a little after work this week then a good early saturday river canoe trip .
[signature]
[url "javascript:;"][Image: DSCN1385.JPG][/url]

[url "javascript:;"][Image: DSCN1384.JPG][/url]

here are the only two photos taken from moss lake dam at proud lake recreation area opening day of trout season
[signature]
Well those are some die hard guys ya' have in your area .
I've never seen anyone lile the dam like that in my life , I guess i'm used to the riverbank elbow to elbow line .
Question , If you get a fish do you have to give up your spot and head to the bank or do you just put them in your creel or on a stringer and hold your spot ?
[signature]
in the top photo, you are looking at the actual dam. the water level was so low the spill over the top was only 2-3 inches.

in the bottom photo, there is a dock about 5 feet behind the line, and all those guys in that line up are buddies...

the photos were taken about an hour or so before the season started, If that helps to answer your question...
[signature]
I wanted to add this, to give you an idea of the kind of fishing they were doing, you know those fish tanks you seen at the fish shows were the kids would hand about 2 feet of line off thier pole in to the water?

that is about what they were doing there.... jigging straight down, no casting.

the passed the rule no fishing from the bridge were I was standing to take the photos this year. The park maniger was down there a cople times that night, and he looked pretty disterbed at what he saw, I wouldnt be suprized if next year if that dam and a hundred feet below the dam becomes handy cap access fishing only.

the park has no handy caped access for fishing, that is the only place where handy capped people could actualy get near the river to fish...
[signature]