Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
kayak fishing
I've been reading about some of you guys fishing on a kayak, and find it very interesting. I'm thinking about trying it myself. Did a bit of research and found this one sale at BassProshops.
[url "http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10213821_225015000_225000000_225015000_225-15-0"]http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10213821_225015000_225000000_225015000_225-15-0[/url]

Wonder if any of you can give me some insight on whether or not its good, or what I should look for... never kayak before
[signature]
They have those at the BPS just outside by the exit door. As you exit look to the right by the BBQ stuff cabled to the wall. After shipping they are around $525.
[signature]
I was out at Bassproshops yesterday to look at this... and the guy got my second guessing my decision about getting a sit-in vs. sit-on-top for fishing. this one has a large cockpit opening, 31" beam, and 10' long. Looks like it'd be as stable as any sit-on-top...

What do you guys think, and use for kayak fishing?
[signature]
I would strongly recommend a sit-on-top for fishing- they can be stable enough to stand up and cast from, you never have to worry about sinking your kayak, and your legs wont cramp up after 6 hours of fishing.

If you fall out of a sit-inside kayak, you will have a much harder time getting back in. A sit-on-top usually doesn't even flip over when you fall off, and it wont be full of water when you get back on.

I would look into the [url "http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/angler_editions/scrambler_xt_angler.html"]Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT[/url] or [url "http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/angler_editions/prowler_trident_11_angler.html"]Ocean Kayak Prowler[/url]. These are both designed specifically for anglers and are extremely stable.

Don't skimp on a good paddle either. It is your engine. There are very good fiberglass paddles for under $100.

The Whizzle
[signature]
Thanks Thewhizzle! The Prowler seems like a good one.

I've been looking at the Malibu Mini-X myself:
[url "http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/servlet/the-286/Malibu-Mini-dsh-X-Kayak/Detail"]http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/servlet/the-286/Malibu-Mini-dsh-X-Kayak/Detail[/url]

what do you think?
[signature]
That looks great- 4 rod holders and 2 hatches- that is about all you need.

I have noticed that you are looking at really short kayaks. Something to keep in mind, is that as you get into the shorter yaks, yous speed will decrease. When you are kayak fishing on mead, you have to cover a lot of water to get to productive spots. To get there quickly, I recommend something at least 11 feet- longer and narrower is way faster than shorter and fatter. And a 15 foot kayak is still something that one person can handle. You don't need a team to launch one.

If you like the looks of the prowler, then get it. I haven't spoken to anyone that wasn't happy with their prowler, and it is my favorite fishing kayak. One of the faster ones, too.
[signature]
You can see some pics of my yaks on the kayak board.

I agree that you should look at boats longer than 10'. My boys yak is a 10' but he is only 10 yrs old. The length adds speed and also gives more room to put things on the boat.
As far as in or on top, it kind of depends. If I am going to be getting out alot to cast I prefer a SOT. When I'm trolling or in cold water I like the sit-in. The sit in that I have is a LOON 128 with a big enough cockpit opening that I can put my legs in or out while paddeling and can freely move all over in. The Ocean prowler 13 I have in FL is a great boat. fast, stable and with plenty of molded in storage spots for things like a bucket, cooler and milk crate.
The first kayak you buy does not have to be the last or only one you buy, as a matter of fact, it should not be.

If you want to see lots of fishing kayak pictures search on the "No Motor" section of the Florida Sportsman magizine website. Lots of ideas to be had there.
[signature]
Here's another question that I have been having trouble finding information on, and it may be useful to a few others on this board who are interested in kayak fishing to hear from people who've "been there, done that":

What's the best kayak for "larger" paddlers? Using myself as an example (6' 3" 230 with fairly long legs), what would you recommend? SOT or SIN? Length? Width? Weight capacity?

I imagine taller/larger paddlers have a higher center of gravity so that might be a consideration too, especially in a fishing yak when moving around to grab gear and stuff?
[signature]
I'm 6'1" and go about 240, so I like a bigger boat myself. Stability in any "fishing" kayak is really not an issue. The very long narrow touring kayaks can be a little tippy in bad conditions, but generally speaking any kayak made to fish from is built to be able to cast, turn your upper body and move around while fighting a fish.
The guys in Cali catch some huge fish from their yaks and the Florida east coasters catch billfish. Both endevors require a kayak that is not tippy.
As far as SOT or IN it really depends on your style and the conditions. Like I said above, when the ice has only been off for a couple of weeks I do not want the wet ride of a SOT. I don't want to wear a wetsuit either. So in the spring I use my sit in almost exclusively because of the cold.
When I am in Florida and fishing the shallow flats, I want the SOT because I can just slip off it and begin wading without making a disturbance. To get out of my SIN I would have to either beach or make a lot of waves as I got out. Not good for stalking snook or redfish in skinney water.

I can't say what is the "best" kayak as I have not owned them all, but I would like to.
[signature]
[quote tomstoneradio]
What's the best kayak for "larger" paddlers? [/quote]

There really is no 'Best', but you would love a Prowler 15
[signature]
How easy is it to transport and carry a 15 footer? To me (never had a yak before) 15 feet sounds really long...prob have to get a roof rack or something. I only have a Silverado short bed crew cab pickup.
[signature]
[cool]If you have a 2" reciever hitch there is an attachment that fits in and has a piece that will hold lumber and is level with the bed. I have only seen it once and don't know where to get one. . It will probably cost less l than a roof rack system. Here is a website to check. [url "http://www.thefind.com/cars/info-hitch-bed-extender"]www.thefind.com/cars/info-hitch-bed-extender[/url].
[signature]
Hi All,

I went with the Bass Pro Shops Ascend FS12T Kayak for my first one. At 12 feet long and 31" wide it fits me pretty well, 6'3" 240 pounds. It is stable as all get out and being a sit on top is easy to get back aboard your board should you come off of it for some reason. For motive power, I picked up a Carlisle Day Tripper 230 Cm two piece paddle. If they had a 240 Cm version, I probably would like it better.

I had no trouble in keeping it going in a straight line until the end of the day when I was starting to get tired out a bit. I went from Boulder Harbor all the way up to the Las Vegas Wash entrance area where the creek feeds in and back for my break in ride.

[Image: EmFS12T020.jpg]

I did drill out the seat scupper holes so that it would drain out there, that and the far forward mounting of the rod holder would seem to be the two biggest gripes about the Ascend FS12T. I am planning on moving the rod holder back to the first tray area ahead of the cup holder and adding a fish finder/depth gauge in the rod holders' original mounting position as I add a few fisherman friendly items to it on down the road a ways.

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV
[signature]
Nice yak!

I was looking into that too, but the perception I got just caught my eyes. but at 62lbs, it can be a pain to load/unload from the roof of my 4runner.

Is anyone planning to go out Friday morning? I'd like to go out there with someone to show me a few thing or two about yak fishing.

I've fished mead for 5years, and never caught a LMB (intentionally). I've never caught anything on a lure... I must be doing something wrong.
[signature]
Hi Willy,

Thanks, I like it a lot. I am most impressed with how stable it is although it does ride a little wet when the wind and waves start acting up.

My days off are Wednesday and Thursday, Friday being my "Monday". Add to that I just came back in from the Lake after spending the day out there from about 6:30AM until 6:00PM.

It was gorgeous this morning, couldn't ask for nicer Kayaking weather. I meandered up to 33 Hole, ran into a bunch of Stripers nailing a run of tiny Shad on the surface just outside the "Hole" by the three low rocks that stick up above the surface. I chased them down and started throwing a small white curly tail grub on a white lead head jig and got two nice ones then my line went haywire. In between fighting the line and not wanting to harm the two Stripers, they looked like twins about 24 inches or so, I didn't manage to get any pictures but I did shoot some video that I will post later of the melee.

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV
[signature]