Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steelhead fly fishing
This past weekend I was visiting Sawtooth fish hatchery near stanley idaho. I ran into two friendly utah fly fishermen in the parking lot. I asked them about their fishing rig and they generously gave me two egg patterns to try. they had caught about 8 each that morning.

My wife and I are fairly new to fly fishing, especially rivers but since we had an hour to fish why not toss flys to steelheads. we went down the rive from the bridge about a mile and waded out away from the crowds...our initial approach was to blindly cast up stream with an indicater, egg sucking leach/egg tandem. as other fly fishermen approached us, they had the same rig setup but told us not to blindly cast, instead seek them out and cast in their face. after studying the water for a minute, you could see them! It was fun tossing flys to them but had no takers...

later on at the gas station, the cashier told me that you have to cast and strip the fly over thier heads, stop retrieving and they will snap at the fly this way...if you give them to much time to see the fly they will dodge....interesting huh?

anyways this is our experience this past weekend....

I really appreciate those who help us and are willing to share some tips on the river banks....

sorry no pics, my 15 year old was having fun spotting fish for us and did not snap pics...

Match and Sol
[signature]
awesome report even if you did not catch anything.. I have found that each time on the water I see and/or learn something different.. that is one of the reasons I like fly fishing so much..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]