Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tubing for sharks
I saw a post awhile back about the guy who wanted to tube for sharks. I got to admit that it has been done but does require finesse and being extremely carefull. As you can see in the pic below, your craft needs just a little more than paddles or fins to get out of harms way.
Please see the attatchment and you will see what I mean.

tubeN2

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage2792202.jpg]
the picture wont come up on my computer. does anybody else have this problem??

joe
[signature]
yup...no pic.
[signature]
[cool]If you still have problems posting the pic, send it to me and I'll edit it into your post.

Gotta see it.

By the way, fellow members, this greenhorn is my son. Got him in a tube the first time about 1978. He lives in California and is raising a new generation of fishermen.
[signature]
I knew I recognized his name. haha.. oh by the way TD... thanks alot. I never got the chance to email you. I appreciate it. I wasn't expecting that beach bum shirt! haha....

joe
[signature]
[Wink]I figured there was a family resemblance in the name....where abouts in California... I noticed you did not say SoCal..

Hello SP Scouten!!!
[signature]
[cool]That shirt has TRADITION. Don't disgrace it.
[signature]
[cool]He lives in the San Fernando Valley. He doesn't get to fish as often as he would like to (Does any of us?)

Also, he is modest (bashful). He's been lurking on the forum for awhile, but doesn't say much. Not like his old man. That may be good.
[signature]
haha......no you can never say TOO much. yes you do say a lot, but it is very informative and fun to read. so keep it up TubeDude. And welcome SPSCOUTEN. well....you've probably been here longer than I have.

joe
[signature]
[cool]Finally got the pic to transfer from the Yahoo site. I edited it into the first post.

We have seen this one before, but it is always a good reminder that there are things in the water that look at us as prey...and not as predators.
[signature]
[sly]hay im a friend of tubinjoe and he told me about that you seemd like a nice guy so i wanted to meet you first of all my name is raul medina im 15 years old. all so the pic didn't show up on my computer
[signature]
[cool]Hola, Raul. Bienvenido.

Can you see the image I edited into the first post? The link he posted does not work because it is on a Yahoo website. You should see the shark and the helicopter. If you can't see it, it may be because you have dialup service and a slow server. This site has a lot of banner ads and pics on it. If you do not have high speed internet service, it may take awhile to load up, or some things might not come up at all.

Happy to have you with us. Feel free to post your fishing reports or to ask any questions you would like to. I don't know if you have taken time to look back through some of the past pages, but if you have not, then you can go to the bottom of the current main page and just click on each of the other pages you want to look at.

If you are a float tube fisherman, we have posted a lot of good information on picking a new craft, buying gear and adding new goodies to your craft. We have spent a lot of words on fins and waders too.

Come on back, and start a new thread, introducing yourself and letting us know something about the kind of fishing you do and what your favorites are. Also, what kind of tackle do you prefer, and what would you like to know more about.

Do you live near Joe and the other members of the "Terrible Trio"?

Look forward to having you contribute.
[signature]
hay thanks for making me feel so welcomed and ya i live one street away from joe. i want to try getting in to float tubing but ive been working alot. i work well pin head on a boat out in san pedro off of 22nd street landing. we have been catching lotsof san bass we've got limits the last two dayts ive been there. but ....................... my favorite bait to use write know is probably the wams. there made by i think worm king.
[signature]
[cool]Oh, another pinhead, huh. I put in my time many long years ago. Worked boats out of Davey's Locker and up to Santa Barbara. Did some commercial fishing too. Man, that's too much like work.

When those sandies are on the flats they are a lot of fun to catch on the plastics. I also used to make up a lot of fancy feather jigs that beat them up pretty good. Are they hitting the iron at all right now, or mostly bait and plastics? And, are you getting good bait or still the small stuff?
[signature]
o..k. , is the pic for real or what ? [Smile]
[signature]
the sandies are being mostly being caught on the plastics. we had two sandie on irons. actually we caust jackpot on a iron. whats your favorite type of plactic to use, mine is the new wam made by worn king or something
[signature]
[cool]Hey, lonehunter, I know you have been isolated up there in the backwoods for a long time, but lemme tell ya. They got these things called computers, and there are programs that let ya play around with pictures and stuff. Some computer nerd, with too much time on his hands thought he would make a cute composite picture...just to scare the crap out of float tubers and other idiots that go into the water with sharks.

Sheesh. You sure you didn't write the book "Gullible's Travels"?

Howya doin' Bro? Ever get your waders repaired...or a new set?
[signature]
[cool]Back atcha, FM. Yeah, the sandies and the spotted bay bass really like plastics. At times, they will hit almost any color and any size...and any style from the good old plastic worms to fancy swimbaits like the Hammers.

For all-around effectiveness, in almost every condition, I like a plain white plastic twister....from 3" to 7". They are cheaper to buy in bulk, in the smaller sizes, and they often work as well as the larger. But, you wil usually catch bigger fish on bigger baits. I usually fish them with either my custom painted heads...white with a hot red eye...or with a solid dark red or hot red head. Sometimes a white head with a black eye works well.

There are other colors of twisters that work well for me too. Yellow, with a hot red head...smoke sparkle with a silver glitter head...chartreuse sparkle with a hot red head, etc. In clear water situations, I especially like the 5" Kalin's holographic grubs...usually in the smoke sparkle.

I also use several different kinds of swim baits. The more exotic ones, like the Big Hammers, are great action lures and take a lot of fish. But, in a hot bite, you can go trough a lot of them and they ain't cheap. Again, I buy bulk packages...usually generic brands from Barlows or Bass Pro...in several colors. I like the clear sparkle, with a black back...chartreuse sparkle (both all chartreuse and with a black back)...and rainbow.

I also fish both plain white and pearl. I sometimes take permanent markers and custom color the whites and pearls. A blue or red back, on a white or pearl, are great colors for almost all fish. Some of the swimbaits already come in those combinations, but I have found that a freshly applied stripe of bright blue or bright red has greater visibility and attraction. Oh yeah, if the fish are eating "brown baits", you can put stripe of brown on the back of a large pearl swimbait and the bass love 'em.

The size and shape of the heads you use can make a difference too. Light heads result in a slow fall, which finicky fish like, but it can take forever for your bait to get down in deep water. And, if there is a current running, you will have a tough time keeping in the zone. So, 3/8 to 1/2 ounce is about the smallest head to use...and then only on light tackle. For heavier line, deeper water and current, you might have to go to 1 1/2 to 2 oz. heads.

Oh yeah, don't overlook tube jigs. They are especially good for verticle presentations or drifting and bottom bouncing. Heck, they also work good for slow trolling in shallower waters too. All the basses like squid and octopus...but the tubes come in a range of colors that can also do a good job of representing shrimp and other munchies.

Actually, almost any of the new plastics designed for largemouth bass in fresh water will be welcomed by sandies and calicos. In fact, you can take your freshwater tackle box to the ocean and do just fine in many cases. The plastic worms are a good example.

That's my input on bass plastics.
[signature]
[cool] Hey there Lonehunter,

That would be awesome if I could gaurantee that the pic was 100% virgin.

I did no enhancement on my part. If it were totally for real I would think about changing in my fins for some good propellers and maybe even some depth chargers. ha ha [Tongue] Have a good one.
[signature]
[cool]And I'll bet your laundry bill would go up too...tubeN2. Great handle.

Need to get you and Sean over here in the tubes and get him launched.
[signature]