Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weekly Shallow Saltwater Report
South Carolina Weekly Shallow Saltwater Fishing Report<br>Week of 10-14-01 through 10-20-01<br><br><br>The fishing all along our coast has been fair according to the reports I have been hearing. Many of them are being caught on artificial bait (grubs) and of course some are being caught on live shrimp under floats. It seems that this year the catching of the shrimp is getting to be the problem. The shrimp are not here in big numbers in all the areas. However, some areas such as Charleston, are having no problem finding shrimp. We, on the other hand, are not able to even find a few to use as bait, much less find enough to eat. Scientists think the cold spell we had last winter is the culprit, but no one knows for sure. In past years it normally has been no problem catching a dozen or two for bait, in almost any area you might be in. However, now, you need to have a “secret spot” just for catching the bait! Our state’s shrimp baiting season is in full swing, and there is no problem getting a parking space at the landings. In good years, you may have to park as far as a mile away from the landing because of all the cars and trailers parked there. But, this year there just aren’t many shrimp, so there aren’t many shrimpers. Three trips this week didn’t produce the kind of fishing we are accustomed to for this time of year. Of course, we had wind, but not enough to punish us. It just seemed that the fish were not on the feed in the areas we searched in. The biggest redfish was 9 ½ #, and the total for the reds was 10 with about half of them in the 2# to 3# size. Five schoolie sized trout and a couple of blues finished the week. I hope this is just a weather phase or something like that we are going through. This time last year, we were catching a lot of really big fish but I just haven’t been able to find them so far this Fall. <br><br>Thanks, Gene Dickson <br>Delta Guide Service http://www.deltaguideservice.com<br>Georgetown, SC<br>1-843-546-3645<br> <br>PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS: Delta-Guide-Service@sc.rr.com<br><br>We are a saltwater fishing guide service located on the coast of South Carolina.