Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge, UT
Well, I got a wild hare and decided to take my one man canoe to the Gorge for the weekend. Fished Saturday with mack addict in his bass boat.

But he went home Saturday night, so when Sunday dawned glass calm, and stayed that way, I decided to see if I could catch a decent laker from my canoe. I found some fish a half mile from shore ( a long ways out in a 12' canoe!) and went to work. And for 2+ hours I couldn't even get a sniff.

So I changed up the lure and changed up the presentation and promptly popped a 19# and a 17# to break in the new canoe! Made my trip!

Those Flaming Gorge teeners are the toughest fish around! Much tougher than a lot of 25s and 30s from other places.
[signature]
Now thats the way to break in a canoe.Headed up to the gorge in a few weeks. Cant wait to get up there.
[signature]
I love that place! I can hardly wait to get back up there!
[signature]
Yea me too!( Knocking on wood) I have never been up there and not been able to catch any species of fish I targeted. Most of them all big ones. I dont get a lot of time to fish for those big lakers but what little time I do I have a blast. I stay at Buckboard getting ready for the derby but this year Im going to head south a couple days just for lakers. Dont you usually head to the gorge in the middle of june.
[signature]
Yep, BlueRapala, I do try to get there every year in mid June. I try to do at least one decent trip every May, too, but that doesn't always work out. I've had good days in July and August, also, and great days for bigger smallmouth in October.
[signature]