Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What line for a 7', reel 10 lbs labeled?
Hi guys,

First post! I am a new bass fisherman. I just bought a Daiwa rod and reel combo. the rod is 7', medium, fast action. The reel is a d-shock 3000. On the reel i see the capacity numbers for the reel (e.g. 4 300 yards, 6 200 yards, etc.) Now does the fact that the reel has marking for up to 10 pounds test line mean that the thickest line I can put is 10 pound? can I put 12 or 14. I want to do spinnerbait fishing for bass, and i read on some posts that with a 8-10 pound test line and doing spinnerbait, the line simply breaks..

For spinnerbait fishing I would not require that much line anyway. i know my reel is rated to fit 220 yards for 10 lbs test. I am guessing if i try to put 12 lbs it would be at least 120-150 yards, which should be plenty...
You shouldn't have a problem putting heavier line on that reel. I always use a heavier backing line to fill up the spool because I change my line frequently. I save alot of money by not filling up the entire spool with fluorocarbon.
[signature]
I have ten pound braid on my spinnerbait/buzzbait rod and have never broken off. Even on big Pike.
[signature]
GDN443 said what I was going to suggest... braid. I throw 20 pound braid for spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. It's the same diameter as 6 pound monofilament, so it'll work on that rod.

I wouldn't fill the spool with it, though. Get some cheapo monofilament and fill 2/3 of the spool. Splice the braid onto the mono and fill it to 90% capacity. You're never going to use more than 30 yards of line in most cases, up to 40 or so if you're casting downwind.
[signature]
We have to use clear lines in Utah. Not much dirty water here. Like Fish04fun said, heavy backing-braid or mono is good. I perfer 10 lb for plastics and cheap lures. I may go 12 or 14 for high priced baits.

F04F and I were at Cabela's the other day looking at the new low-profile reels. Damn, they are small and very nice. I picked up a 7:01 on eBay last night. The E207 Curado was calling me.

[signature]
Very good! Tthanks, guys. Now I am confident to put heavier line. Although from what I am hearing, a 10 lbs test would be just fine, so I will go with that. I am thinking about the trilene XL 10#. it is 20% off at my local retail store so its like a little over 5 bucks for a 330 yards. I don't think I can find any cheaper than that.
[signature]
You can buy excel line from bass pro in bulk 1500 yard spools. It is more money at first but cheaper in the long run. It holds up real nice to!
[signature]