Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6 keepers from Strawberry..
Couldn't quite convince myself to head out to Pelican with the weather, so ran up to Strawberry with my daughter when the clouds broke.

Got there about 3:30 pm and hit a little bay just past the Ladders. We stayed until 6:45 pm when the weather started to bluster and spit.

Got a couple hits on a worm/marshmallow she was using, but I'm inexperienced with the set-up. It seemed the hook was too covered up and we missed em both. Then I was reeling in my set-up to go help her and had a very big cutthroat clobber it like a top-water bass in about 10" of water as I passed over a drop off from deep to shallow. He was big enough and hit hard enough that it was plainly a cutt, probably over the slot, which would have been a first for me.

Saw a couple fly guys on the way out, just heading into the bay, catching a couple of slotters in the water we had covered unproductively. Weird. The sun was covered and the temp had dropped into the 40's, maybe. I had given my kid my jacket for an overlayer and I was cold...Would have thought the fish would have been most active in the sunshine ahead of the storm this early.

Lots of thin skim ice all over the main lake, but it'll be gone in days. All of the small bays I could see are open.

Here was our total take...
[signature]
Those look tasty. A little "Old Bay" and its eating time!!
[signature]
I'm still calling it a "skunk" but my daughter disagrees. She totally switched gears when she saw 'em, and that was all she wanted to do.
[signature]