Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ODFW to host youth fishing event at McNary Ponds
Hermiston, Ore. -- The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife will partner with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to host a free youth fishing event at the McNary Channel Ponds near Hermiston on Saturday, May 8 from 9 a.m. to noon. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m.

"This is a great way to introduce your kids to fishing," said Bill Duke, ODFW district fish biologist. "The McNary Ponds are easy to get to, ODFW will provide loaner fishing rods, reels, tackle and bait, and there will be plenty of ODFW staff and volunteers to show the kids how to get started. "<br />
To make the fishing even more fun, the ponds will be stocked with legal- and trophy-sized fish for the event. Adult anglers are encouraged to delay their own fishing efforts until Saturday afternoon to in order to increase opportunities for youth participating in the event.<br />
All fishing regulations apply. Anglers aged 13 years and younger will not need a fishing license; anglers 14-17 years old will need a juvenile license.<br />
The event is part of ODFW's Youth Angling Enhancement Program, designed to introduce young people to the fun of fishing. For more information about the event at McNary Ponds, call Bill Duke at (541)-276-2344. For a list of other YAEP events throughout the state, visit the ODFW Web site at www.dfw.state.or.us.<br />
To find the McNary Channel Ponds from Hwy 730 at Umatilla, turn North onto Brownell Blvd (just west of I-82). Proceed to W. Third St. Turn right onto Third Street and proceed through I-82 underpass. The ponds are north of Third St. between I-82 and McNary Dam. There are several vehicle access points which are well signed.