Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low profile (wind resistant) pontoons
My "annual water craft review" is in progress again.
And again the float tube will retain prime place in my arsenal of water craft in 2010-2011.

And once again I find myself looking at the options for big water windy weather, which the tube is not so suited for.

Having had several of boats in the past, learned the cumbersome limitations of them (as well as their advantages) I should admit that over the years my tendency seems to be to make my favourite fishing craft smaller, lighter in weight, and more compact as my boating-watercraft skills and experience increased.

So I'm looking at 10-13' dinghy (cartop and dislike the idea) vs SOT kayak (also cartop - prefer not, but lots of advantages portability-wise) vs a folding kayak (Folbot Aleut - compact, light, but the cost! Sheeesh!) vs a pontoon.

But what I need has to be able for a 20-35mph breeze and many pontoons get blown around a bit. So what I am wondering is which of the pontoons have the lowest profile, to catch the wind with, like maybe the tube-toon hybrids? I'm assuming seat out of the water ... but only just, for a low centre of gravity and stability to give ability to handle some waves, so a certain length pontoons is needed I suppose.

If I don't find the pontoon I want, this could end up with me making a wood kayak of lighter weight than the otherwise nice SOTs everyone else seems to love. What is it that makes us so fussy, eh?.

Suggestions anybody?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]In winds over 20 mph your best choice for minimal wind resistance might be a submarine.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The Outcast Fish Cat Cougar (pontoon) was formerly touted as one of the lowest profile craft...with the smaller twin air chambers side by side. Good concept. But, I had one and still got blown around in even minor breezes. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sorry, but I have no good advice for you. I am a wimp and do not fish in the wind.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Are you going to be just rowing? Or are you thinking of a small motor?

In those kind of winds you aren't going to get much lower than the sot kayaks. But you are really going to get wet!

I have a NFO Renegade that is rated for white water rivers so should do well in the waves. But I haven't had it out in 20 mph winds so I can't tell you how they ride. They are supposed to turn into the wind and do really good, but I am not inclined to test it myself.

You can look at these boats at:
http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/homepagedirectory.html

You might try looking at the youtube videos on there.

North Fork Outdoors has some show season specials.
http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/2010sho...cials.html
[signature]
I think rowing is a minimum, and a electric motor would be desirable, for covering distances.

I'll also check those links out, thanks.
[signature]
The Cougar does have the smallest diameter toon at 10" next would be a Cardiac Canyon at 12".
I don't think it is so much the diameter of the tubes, however that does play into it.

When you are out in one of the V tubes in the wind, you get blown for sure but you aren't generally turning. You can cut straight into the wind.
With two separate pontoons, you will feel the boat wanting to turn side ways in the wind.

The new U design creates the same effect as a V tube. I have personally experimented with this in what I am sure is at least 20 mile an hour winds.
The design does stay true to the direction you choose.
I agree with cpierce that the oars are a big plus.
My recommendation would be one of the new frameless models. Your rear will get damp, but you are sitting low enough to get a good fin kick.

My opinion.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"]First off I mean no disrespect, but as an old Coasty (USCG) I would not go out in any small craft with winds as strong as your talking about, if I was out and they came up I’d be headed for shore ASAP. I must agree with TubeDude, a submarine, comesto mind.[/font]
[signature]
No disrespect detected or taken WeeFolk. [Smile]

Seriously though, I'm fishing in an oceanic coastal country (Ireland) and if I waited for winds less than 15mph on Irish lakes ... I'd never get out on the water, either that or spend my time fishing teeny tiny ponds.

Then there is the point that the fish undoubtedly go on feeding binges when a good wind driven wave stirs the water up ....
[signature]
Have you ever thpought about kite fishing or sail line fishing. Both look as though they would be a kick in the pants. I've seen a fellow kite fishing for surf perch, and was doing real well. He was out farther anybody could cast, even the ones out in the water up to their arm pits.. The sail line looks like it could work, even in realy strong wind.
[url "http://www.hiflykites.co.za/free-kite-guides/kitefishing-manual/"][font "Times New Roman"]http://www.hiflykites.co.za/free-kite-guides/kitefishing-manual/[/font][/url]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[url "http://phartattack.tripod.com/sailline.htm"][font "Times New Roman"]http://phartattack.tripod.com/sailline.htm[/font][/url]

Be Safe
[signature]
The Fishcat Cougar is the smallest diameter that I've seen but they don't make it anymore. They still sell the Panther which a foot longer at 9'.

I was out in 20mph winds last weekend in my NFO X5 and it was very difficult even motoring around (of course I needed to go straight up wind to get where I wanted to go). I anchored with a 15pound star anchor and still go blown down wind a few feet several times with the gusts. However, I was able to catch a lot of fish and if I cast downwind, it wasn't too bad.

Jim
[signature]
Were you using fins and oars or just the motor?
Pontoons do not have keels, there for they do not steer well with just a motor unless you are using a gas and going a little fast.
You either need your feet to steer or the oars.
I am not saying it s easy, but last year the winds at the H were probably closer to 50 mph. Waves were huge,but having used a Cardiac Canyon for 10 years, I found the U shape a refreshing change. I didn't struggle as hard to stay right.

The problem with going to small of diameter is they are under water allot in big waves. 9' is about as small as I would go. Even the CC was 11 1/2' and the platform did go under a few waves.

A boat that is built for White Water is a good choice, but you don't want one with huge rockers either, specially for stillwater.
[signature]
I've been experimenting with the motor pushing me and pulling me. Last weekend it was pushing me most of the time. I didn't have any problems going in a straight line as I had the oars in the water laying against the sides of the pontoons and they act like a keel. The problem was that I wasn't moving very fast due to heading straight into the wind. I had to run at least at "4" to make any progress.

I did notice that having the motor pull me works better I just haven't reversed my handle yet because I'm not sure I like looking over my shoulder so much. Maybe a small mirror on my glasses might work (like the bike riders use).

Jim
[signature]
The NFO frameless Outlaws have a pretty low overall wind resistance because you sit so low. That lowers the center of gravity too, which aids stability.

This is me in my Outlaw Rampage on Baum Lake in northern California:

[Image: 865365140_b949T-O.jpg]
[signature]
[quote IrishFloatTube]My "annual water craft review" is in progress again.
And again the float tube will retain prime place in my arsenal of water craft in 2010-2011.

And once again I find myself looking at the options for big water windy weather, which the tube is not so suited for.

Having had several of boats in the past, learned the cumbersome limitations of them (as well as their advantages) I should admit that over the years my tendency seems to be to make my favourite fishing craft smaller, lighter in weight, and more compact as my boating-watercraft skills and experience increased.

I have also gone smaller, more fun, less hassle and use more frequently, for me anyway.... Renting a motorboat or taking a guide would be my option if I needed to go in high winds.

So I'm looking at 10-13' dinghy (cartop and dislike the idea) vs SOT kayak (also cartop - prefer not, but lots of advantages portability-wise) vs a folding kayak (Folbot Aleut - compact, light, but the cost! Sheeesh!) vs a pontoon.

But what I need has to be able for a 20-35mph breeze and many pontoons get blown around a bit. So what I am wondering is which of the pontoons have the lowest profile, to catch the wind with, like maybe the tube-toon hybrids? I'm assuming seat out of the water ... but only just, for a low centre of gravity and stability to give ability to handle some waves, so a certain length pontoons is needed I suppose.

My largest boat is the quad 10" tube Outcast Discovery Oncilla at 7' . Very stable and dry because you sit up higher. Not for 35 mph breeze and 3' waves, though. Rider would act like a sail.

Even an electric troll motor isn't enough to overcome tides and wind in my coastal area and the ride is quite uncomfortable. When I did coast fishing years ago, I would use these strong forces to help my drift propulsion or avoid by getting in protected areas.

Here's an ocean proven design that might work for fishing in rough conditions: http://www.prophish.com/glasskip.html

Oars could be used, but then your hands wouldn't be free to handle rods, etc.

If I don't find the pontoon I want, this could end up with me making a wood kayak of lighter weight than the otherwise nice SOTs everyone else seems to love. What is it that makes us so fussy, eh?.

Ocean kayaks with spray skirts are used by some, but it takes strength and skill to manage. Getting beat up by the waves, wind and salt spray is not for me, but to each his own.

Hope this helps.

Pon

Suggestions anybody?[/quote]
[signature]
Oops, here's the link to the prophish without bold:

http://www.prophish.com/glasskip.html

Pon
[signature]
[quote pontoonman]Oops, here's the link to the prophish without bold:

http://www.prophish.com/glasskip.html

Pon[/quote]

[shocked] OMG!!!! That thing looks more for just a work out an must constantly be moving.
Just like those water walking ski like shoes[crazy]

this one makes more sense:

http://www.prophish.com/index-2.html

Dave Scadden did offer one of these a while back. Cool idea but with a hefty price tag. Lets just say a gas motor cost less.
They never took off to say the least, plus what will long term salt do to these? I imagine they have addressed that though.
[signature]
So a Hobie, a Native and a toon get married and had kids like this:
[Image: wskp-1-2-1.jpg]
I really like those pedal drives.
The dividing lines between boat types are getting blurred aren't they.
Thx for the ideas folks.
Now I've got to think about it and weigh up the credit card implications .....
[signature]
interesting.
Does it have a rudder? Are your feet up out of the water?
[signature]
Yes it has a rudder, and you are peddling in the water. For comfort sake, I am betting like a bike. Maybe not all the way, just on the down stroke
I have seen them up close and I mean real close, but, never tried it.
It is a long shaft with a small propeller on it like a Duck boat motor, or even Mastercraft style.
I can't remember the clearance however. If they are flat against a flat surface, or if you have to tilt them to the side on shore.
[signature]
No rudder, as I recall, turning is accomplished by a linkage to swivel on the prop end. Feet are out of the water. You can raise or lower the long shaft from the sitting position, so no tilting. Marine materials and sealed gearbox. Made in USA that's why high $$, and particularly Utah, so you should have some quality.[Smile] I have not personally tried one, but this info is on details page http://www.prophish.com/pedalboats.html
The two guys that own the company are machinists and have an interesting story if you look around on the website. Probably they could give you a free trial on one of their outings as they are very personable. About the only negatives are the increased weight and what happens when weed tangles the prop. Your leg muscles are supposed to be much stronger, so you should be able to go further, faster, and longer with less exertion than oars.

Pon

[quote flygoddess]Yes it has a rudder, and you are peddling in the water. For comfort sake, I am betting like a bike. Maybe not all the way, just on the down stroke
I have seen them up close and I mean real close, but, never tried it.
It is a long shaft with a small propeller on it like a Duck boat motor, or even Mastercraft style.
I can't remember the clearance however. If they are flat against a flat surface, or if you have to tilt them to the side on shore.[/quote]
[signature]
I was going off of this statement
(Twin Rudders, self lubricated steering)
so yes it has a rudder in fact two.

I looked at more pictures and an realize your feet are out, however this guy doesn't look too comfortable[crazy][laugh][laugh]

[inline BBStrB-9.jpeg]
[signature]