Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Okuma SLV reel review
i needed a new beat up reel, and reel to help "learn" people that wanted to FF with me. so i saw a $50 okuma at sportsmans, and thought, what the hell ill bite... i loaded it with RIO LT line and stuck it on my TLS 9 foot 5 weight. very first thing i noticed was it had almost a less than great balance on that rod, but on my backup POS rod, it was dead perfect!

i went down to roy pond after work the other day and started catching silver torpedos, since being a fish and having fins in the lake is a sin supposedly.... smooth drag, was nice and quiet also. here is where i find the reels down fall.... the drag is great, but adjusting it is done on a little wheel like object, not like you can jam two fingers at it and turn it... i did find i could adjust the drag with the palm of my hand though, which is cool i guess..

so right before i left i decided to really put it through a little ringer.... i threw it in the lake lol, like i said it was only 50 bucks, than i threw it in the sand.... took it home, opened her up, and not a drop of water or grain of sand got into the workings.

overall for 50 bucks it was well worth it and i went ahead and ordered the spare spool. i like the feeling of the drag but dislike the adjustment (see the pic in the link and youll see the knob). paired with a pfleuger 9 foot 5 weight rod and some decent line, well worth the 50 bucks for the reel and 35 for the spare spool.

[url "http://www.okumafishing.com/family/61832"]http://www.okumafishing.com/family/61832[/url]

enjoy!
[signature]
nice looking reel.. I like that the drag knob is larger than some Ive seen but at the same time I can see what you mean about trying to get a hold of it to do the adjustment.. but then again.. as you said $50.00 is not a bad price.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I think they are sharp looking. If weight is an issue, I would try a smaller reel like a 3/4.
The price is a gimmie!
[signature]
Thank you for the review. It looks like a good back up reel
or like you said, to help friends to learn to fly fish.
It sure is good to know.

Peter
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]Good looking reel. You just made TubeN2's day.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
LOL... as I was reading that review I was thinking the exact same thing... speaking of which.. has anyone heard or seen tn2 lately... hes like a ghost that just disappeared... ?? maybe we should rename him to Casper...

MacFly
[signature]
I like the Integrity. I hear a lot of people who love the SLV though.
[signature]