Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
catfish at lake mead?
hi i just moved out to the state and was looking for some fishing tips. was wanting to try for some catties at lake mead this weekend. anyone have any tips or pointers?

thanks!
[signature]
Welcome to BFT.

Well nightime is the right time but you can catch them during the day. Worms, sardines, anchovies and/or shrimp will do the trick on a carolina rig. Chumming always helps.

Good luck

-E
[signature]
I was planning on going tonight. Any certain locations I should look for? I'm located in hendseron so ill be going through boulder
[signature]
I haven't done much shore fishing on the Henderson side but from what I hear, 33 hole is decent but you have to hike down to the water. I used to live in east Vegas so we'd usually go to 8.0 road, crawdad and boxcar coves. I've been fishing from the boat lately, so we launch and boulder harbor and fish along the wall and up through 33hole and sometimes into the wash area.
[signature]
I got a nice size cat at 33 hole a week or so ago. I was getting hung up on the rocks, so I ended up suspending a night crawler pegged with a kernel of corn from a small bobber, and a cat took it. Go figure...[Image: confused.gif]
[signature]
my family got a few in boulder harbor during the day using corn on the bottom. we have also got them on anchovy/sardine . i went out to sunset park last night with my son. and as soon as it was fully dark the cats started hitting. they were biting on every cast. hitting carp chunks, anchovy, and stink bait. we stayed till the park closed @ 11pm cause the bite was on.
[signature]
Ive done well fishing for cats inside boulder harbor
[signature]
Hey Whizzle,
I've noticed the signs at boulder harbor that say no fishing inside harbor. But every time I go out I see shore anglers around it and on the secondary dock. Whats the story?

Thanks
-E
[signature]
No fishing inside harbors and you must be outside the no-wake markers. Also we add things to our cut bait for catfish as well as striper. #1 add some jar pre-cut garlic or anise. Took my sister to the marina and feed the fish popcorn, now she adds popcorn butter to the bait (she took 5th place just 1oz from 4th at the tourney in April)
[signature]
Hmm. What is the secondary dock intended for then?
[signature]
You can use the fishing pier to the north of the harbor.
[signature]
Ment to the west, not north
[signature]
You mean the one with the rails all the way around? That would be the fishing pier. There is one just like it by Hemingway.
[signature]
Ok. I'm aware of the fishing pier a Hemenway. I assumed the one with the rails at Boulder Harbor was a fishing pier as well. However, there are clearly posted signs that say no fishing in Harbor. Perhaps one could understand my confusion?

I understand that it being illegal wouldn't necessarily prevent people from doing it but why would they put a fishing pier there if fishing is prohibited?
[signature]
those signs are just for the boat launch, the small boat dock, and the boat channel (the side of the no wake bouys that the boats come in.) the rest of the area including the pier is open for fishing. the first time we went fishing there the game warden made some guys in a jon boat come into shore and ticketed them cause they were inside the bouys, not in the boat channel he told them that the area was only for shore and pier anglers. hope that helps with the confusion
[signature]
Yeah, I was Confused about that too. I spoke to a warden about it on the launch ramp in there and he said we were good as long as we were 100 yds from the launch ramp and out of the bouys that say NO BOATS. I was also checked by a warden for my license one day while fishing inside the harbor, and he gave me no grief.
[signature]
Ok, I've got it now. Thanks guys.
[signature]