Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where in the Sierras?
I have never fished the Sierras or much of any where here in Calfornia. I know nothing about the Sierras other than some of the Lake Tahoe ski areas from many years ago... when I was living in Texas.

Will be laid off at the beginning of July.

I want to get this itch to fly fish off my mine so want to take off right after the 4th of July or maybe the following week to spend a week in the high country and hopefully some cool evenings with the smell of pine trees.

I will probably spend most of the time stumbling up and down creeks and rivers. Will also dust off the float tube and paddle around a few impoundments with it.

Anyone care to give me some suggestions of places to consider?
[signature]
Eastern Sierra is where I like to play [Smile]. There are many, many, many choices for you. The big "O'', many creeks,and thousands of lakes.
Just pick anyone and give it a try. Stop by a local fly
shop and talk to the guys in there. (mammoth)
Float tube is a way to go on most of the lakes up there.
Have a great time .

Peter
[signature]
I hope Im not jumping this post but a friend of mine is going camping in the bishop area in a few weeks.. she want to try fly fishing with her husband and in laws..

where would be good areas for them to fish and what fly shops would be trutworthy ones to contact for the latest information and flies to use etc... ??

Scruffy... how I wish I was going with you but Ive never done anything like that plus Ill bejust coming back from vacation in TN... good luck and hope you get into some fish...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Now that is just the problem isn't it. There are so many choices and one does not know what are reasonably good choices and what would be bad choices.
[signature]
I hope that you advised your friend that she should take a lesson from a guide not her hubby. They both will appreciate that afterwards. There is nothing like one spouse trying to teach the other spouse something to ruin a good vacation.

I would be interested in hearing where they went and how things were.
[signature]
lol.. true on the spouse to spouse.. but from what I understand the in laws are experienced anglers.. but I will suggest to her that she should seek the help of a guide or fly shop owner for the basics of fly fishing.. :-)..

hopefully I will see her after they return and if so I will be sure to pass on any information I get about their trip...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
The problem as stated before is there is an endless number of places that are all fantastic depending on what you are looking for. Large lakes, small lakes, small fast moving streams slow streams in meadows for brookies. There are no bad places, but it is fishing, sometimes they bite sometimes they don't.
Pleasant valley reservoir and the owens river in bishop is good or sabrina in the mountains above bishop.
On the way north from bishop to mammoth is crowley, rock creek, convict just to name a few. Mammoth is home to any number of lakes. Lake George, Lake Mary, Twin Lakes, and Lake Mamie. Stocked often.
Hot Creek is world famous for its fine fishing. Catch and release with barbless artificial flies only. This is the only place in the area where the fish population is all natural. Fish up to 18" are regularly caught.
And you can't go wrong fishing the june lake loop north of mammoth.June Lake Loop is breathtaking with surrounding mountain scenery. It offers a variety of lakes and flowing streams. June Lake, Gull Lake, Silver Lake and Grant Lake are easily accessible without any hiking. Or keep heading north to bridgeport and the walker river. It really is endless.

oh and " all" these places I've mentioned are all within a couple of hours of each other most of them a half hour
or less. By july the upper lakes will be thawed and leaves even more great choices. Enjoy![fishin]
[signature]
Best thing then is to put all the names in the hat and draw one.
[signature]
There really is not a bad choice of fishing water there.
I like the guys at the "trout fitter" over at mammoth lakes.
They really know they stuff and like to help out.
Buy one of the area maps (green cover) and they will
show you where to go. Then just follow the map.
If you like to float tube then just about any lake is good.
Just remember they call it fishing, so some days are
better then others.
Just have a good time and enjoy yourself.Catching
fish is just a bonus [Smile]

Peter
[signature]
thanks for the info mi amigo.. Ill be sure and pass it on to my coworker....

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
For the Bishop area, I like the Sierra Trout Magnet shop just out of town. David D'Beaupre always has good information. It'll be hot in Bishop by that time so the higher country will be cooler. Google him to get the shop number.

For the Mammoth area, I agree with Peter that the Trout Fitters has good information and an online report.

Sierra Drifters also has a good fishing report you can have emailed to you. They don't have a shop as they mainly guide.

Both TF and SD have online weekly reports so you can follow them for the next month to see what's fishing best.
Google them to find their sites.

I'll be up there July 10th fishing the Little Lakes Valley above Rock Creek Lake. Lots of small brook trout and beautiful scenery. Haven't decided where else I'll go but will be monitoring the reports to decide.

Jim
[signature]
Thanks for the Trout Magnet shop name. I had not run across it before.

I have now sent emails to get reports from Trout Fitters and and Sierra Drifters. Also now getting report from Kens Sport in Bridgeport.

Still have not figured out where to go but like said if I get there and change my mind there are things near buy.

Yeah, those lakes in Little Lakes Valley have looked interesting. Forget where from I got a little info on them about a year ago but I still have it squirreled away on my topo map. Some are listed as fishless.
[signature]