Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calville shore fishing 5/16
Was really itching to bass fish so I hit up Calville this morning. Arrived at 4:30 am not knowing where the hell to start lol. My hopes were not high since I had only caught 1 bass ever at mead and it was not from shore, but from a Kayak... Hiked the shoreline to the right looking at the lake. Hooked up with 7 fish.. lost 2. All but one fish were caught on top water baits. Used a black jitterbug and black zara spook jr. The jitterbug killed it this morning. Caught My First Smallmouth also!!! Was super happy about that. He put on an amazing fight. Now I know why everyone loves the smallies =) ... I was on my way home by 8:00am. Talk about a great morning of fishing!

The hike in was super sketchy. If it was not for the fact that I had hiking boots on that go over my ankle, I think for sure I would have a sprained ankle right now. I dont recommend hiking it at night.

Sorry about that crappy photos. My camera phone has a crappy flash and cannot focus in the dark.
[signature]
nice catch's on foot. gives us other shore bound anglers hope lol. good job though.
[signature]
Nice catches indeed, make us guys with boats look bad hahaha[fishin]
[signature]
Thanks guys =)..It was fun but it was almost too much work hiking it in the dark... Next time I do it, I am going to bring a tent before dusk and setup camp out on the shore so I can rest a little.
[signature]

Nice fish! A limit of bass from shore at Lake Mead that is impressive. I like the pic of the jitterbug in th bass' mouth. You know you got when they eat it that far down. Gonna have to break out the poppers. Nice!
[signature]
Good stuff man- Gotta love the topwater bite this time of year.
[signature]
pretty much copy catted sil240sxrwd this morning. that hike really sucks. weeds, gravel and mud. bring bug spray if you guys do it too. pretty cool though, lots of people this weekend, few camps set up on shore you have to walk up and around but its cool. tossed a lil different style top water popper as the sun was coming up and hooked 3, landed 2. 1 largemouth and 1 smallmouth. once the sun was up i switched to a crank bait and then senko worms, with no action. they were my first top water bass ever, its a cool way to catch them, kinda gettin hooked on this bass stuff now.
[signature]
The classic Storm Chug Bug! I have one of those that is about 15 years old, and it caught my first-ever topwater bass when I was a kid. It is still sitting on my workbench with its rusty hooks and tattered paint job.

Good job on the bass man - makes the hike worth while.
[signature]
that lure is awesome! i got it from a garage sale last year and put new hooks on it. i added a couple stripers with it today at sunset overlook too. there were millions of shad swimming back and forth down there, they looked big too. on the way back up to the car there was a 2 foot rattle snake next to the trail so be carefull if you guys walk down there. it scared the crap outa me. i heard it before i seen it, then it curled all up and went in a hole. rattling like crazy at us.
[signature]
HTML Editor
Great post and great catch Sil240sxrwd. You make Lake Mead seem like it is actually possible to catch fish.

I apologize for continuing the hijacking of the thread...

[#000000]M[/#000000][url "/cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_page;pg=user_profile_view.html;username=montananinnv"][#000000]ontananinnv[/#000000][/url] were the shad by Calvile or Hole 33? I notice that you fish hole 33 quite a bit so I was wondering if it was there or where Sil240sxrwd fishing? I bought a shad net from big 5 the other day(it was on sale) and I want to use it. The one time I had a good striper catching trip was when I was fishing with people who had shad on the dock.

Good luck to everyone. Tight lines.
[signature]
i caught the large and small mouths at callville, i caught the stripers and seen the all the shad at sunset overlook. its only a few miles from hole 33 headed towards boulder beach. it was the first time i fished there, but i kinda like it. the amount of shad there was insane, never seen anything like it, clouds of them. i have never tossed my net yet but iam pretty sure i could have got a bucket full with one throw. there was no striper boils going on but i pulled my popper over top of the shad and got several fish. if you walk down there is a water wash out right next to the trail and we saw a rattle snake crawl off the trail and down into it so be carefull
[signature]