Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13-pound cutt at Strawberry
Tribune has pix and a report on [url "http://blogs.sltrib.com/fishing/index.php?p=16083&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1"]13-pound 8-ounce fish caught Friday at Strawberry.[/url]
[signature]
I kept scrolling down and there is a hawg from Pelican on there too.
[signature]
NICE!!!! Also nice to know, I don't have to go to Idaho for those anymore...WAHOO!
[signature]
I went sunday.. I fished 7 hrs non stop and only caught a 3 foot branch.. [crazy] maybe next time ill catch a 5 foot branch..[sly][sly][sly]
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
Very nice fish! I wonder how many times that fish has been caught? Just happy that people kept letting it go so it could get that big!
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"]Ow wait you dropped something! No wait it’s your soap box, never mind I’d love to burn it for you.[pirate] No one cares about you poor catch and release soap box. Keep it to your self! [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][/font]
All fishermen are liars except for you and me, and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure about you
Unknown
[signature]
lol wow! i guess i missed something there
[signature]
Wow! way to jump all over that one, didn't sound much like soapboxing to me, more like a statement that he was glad people released it to grow and be harvested and put in the paper.

P.S I think Hookjaw's looked bigger, anyone else agree?
[signature]
i agree! saw your ID trip was a success!
[signature]
I both agree and disagree with your post. Maybe the guy was just saying the slot obviously proved to be a good thing so that fish could get to 13 pounds? (yeah right and maybe pigs will fly some day)

But. let's face it, you would be nuts not to keep that thing!! Mount it up and keep remembering the fight it surely gave.
[signature]
[mad] Why wasn't i there. I want to catch a 13 pound fish!
[signature]
Why? Seriously, why? Picture, size, weight and you got that fish in any position you could want.

Not saying it was wrong, he was perfectly legal in doing so, I just question the line of thought.

Such a waste.....[laugh][laugh]
[signature]
Such a waste ?? How long do you think cutthroats live ??? I bet that fish was pretty old, they only live 6 to 8 years. I would not have kept it, but that's just me. There is no reason to rip a guy for keeping the cutty of a lifetime.
[signature]
I caught a 36" close to 20 lber...I am aware how long they live.

I agree 100% about not judging anyone for their choice..plus what is done is done.

I just wanted to know some thought on why the need to keep the big one, that is all.

Man this post sure took a turn, didn't it.[blush]
[signature]
That sure didn't sound like soapboxing to me either. Someone is a little sensitive about their catch and keep practices. As much of a catch and release guy that I am, I may have kept that fish to put on the wall. But if it was taken home just to be eaten ...[crazy]

But it is a fact, fish only get that big in Utah when others have rel eased them 1, 2 maybe a dozen times. Catch and keep guys shouldn't get so mad at catch and release guys. That is what allows you to catch and keep an occasional trophy fish. If we were all like you, there would be no large ones left to catch, let alone keep, unless you like brood stock.

Heck of a fish. I keep hoping that if I put in enough time and focus enough that one day I'll be the one holding a fish like that! Can't blame him for keeping it but it better go on the wall![Tongue]
[signature]
I thought it was funny that you post your opinion about hating it when people post opinions and then you proceed to post your opinion about the subject in stronger terms than most. It is deceiving and addicting; you don't want to but sometimes you just have to.[Tongue]

But seriously, this isn't just a forum for posting reports and pictures. If it was, you wouldn't be allowed to respond to posts. Forums are also for discussion, and I see no harm in discussion that avoids getting personal and too offensive.

Ironic that the catch and release guys tend to discuss their opinions civilly and the catch and keep guys get all pissed off, use strong language and get all offended. There wasn't even an opinion shared about catch and release and some catch and keep guy got offended. You catch and keep guys are a little sensitive if you ask me.
[signature]
yeah that was a little much, even for myself. so I deleted it, It does get to me though, obviously. I just hate so see everytime someone catches a fish, and keeps it for whatever reason, they are bombarded with opinions and comments. the last time I posted pics was over a year ago for that reason alone. And for the record, I am a catch and release guy. last week at the berry was the first 2 fish I kept so far this year. Glad I did too, they were tasty. those holdover bows at the berry are nice n fat. they grow fast.
[signature]
Does anyone know Ryan Houston or Cliff Bowden?
If not hen I would definitely say this was discussion post.

I have to ask you all...how many of you can afford a GOOD taxidermy on these big fish?

I know when I caught mine, I was not finacially stabile to STUFF that thing.
I mean we were on vacation and gas prices and camp ground are worked into the budget.
Plus I don't have children like allot of you here.
The longer the fish is in the freezer matter?

But with a bunch of good pictures and measurements/weight, you can wait till you do have enough money for a great looking trophy.
[signature]
I will respond to a few of your posts here.

First of all why keep it? Well because the fish is obviously at the tail end of it's life. Would likely die in a year, maybe two at most. And, why not keep an occasional monster? Or even keep an occasional 22 incher ( in Strawberry's case ) to eat?

Now I am a huge proponent of catch and release programs, and think that slot limits are the best way to do it. I think all of our fisheries would benefit from a reasonable slot limit, and the slot should be different from one fisherie to the next. i.e. Huntington Creek, great little river, the slot has done damage there because now the fish population is down, but was too high about 5 years ago. And, to be honest it makes me mad they killed the Tiger Musky slot, you used to be able to keep one over 38 inches, I think. And let's face it, for most people a fish over 30 inches, ANY fish over 30 inches is a trophy of a lifetime.

As to your question about being financially able to mount the fish. Most people are not in the position to do so and that is a waste. Any fish in the freezer for more than about a year becomes difficult to mount, mainly because the fins become damaged by people throwing crap on top of the fish. You can freeze a fish for much longer than a year if you treat it with borax soap, and keep it well wrapped and out of the way of other things in your freezer. AND, no I would not keep a fish that is too far away to be properly taken care of. That is why the fish out of Strawberry are such a good candidate for mounting, you go 2 hours at most and you're home with your trophy to get taken care of.

Although the occasional monster out of the Green River, below Flaming Gorge are good candidates too because The Lodge just above the dam will flash freeze and treat the fish with Borax for about 30 bucks. Again I say, keeping an occasional monster is a good way to remember the one that did not get away, as well as remembering all of the ones that did get away.

Just my 3 and 1/2 cents on the whole thing.
[signature]
"I just wanted to know some thought on why the need to keep the big one, that is all"

[#400080]Maybe he liked skin mounts better than repo mounts? I release a lot of fish but don't need to justify anything I do legally; especially on the internet lol.... I keep some, release some with a clear conscience.[/#400080]
[#400080][/#400080]
[#400080]Nothing wrong at all with him keeping it.[/#400080]
[signature]