Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turtles - SNAPPING Turtles
Visited a friend's farm pond yesterday and found out that they have TWO small (5-10 acre) ponds on them. My friend took my grand-kids out in a small row-boat and proceeded to catch some 14-15" crappie!! (No, I didn't have my fishing stuff with me, but sure will next time!)

So he kept some of the crappie to eat later, and hung them on a stringer off the back of the partially-beached boat. We left the area to go play some yard games about 100 yards away.

We went back to get the fish about an hour later and just the heads were left - yep, snapping turtles!! OK, we both learned our lesson that time... but it brought up another question. I had hoped to TUBE-FISH a number of area farm ponds this year (including his), but I have to assume that most - if not all - have snapping turtles. Now snapping turtles CAN BE aggressive and grow to pretty good size (picture the seat portion of a large chair).

MY QUESTION IS... is it safe to tube-fish in waters where snappers are present? Have any of you encountered snapping-turtles while fishing from your tubes??

They have Canadian geese on the property, along with baby goslings. Some of the babies have disappeared and they've surmised that the snappers may have gotten them.

Hmmmm... legs and fins - i.e. webbed feet hanging down into the water. I sure don't want some big ol' snapping turtle to think that I'm the "baby-goose-meal of a lifetime!" [Wink]

Do you think it's safe to fish waters that are also inhabited by snapping turtles? Has anyone heard of any instance where someone - while fishing (not noodling) - was attacked/bitten by a snapping turtle?

Thanks in advance...

Signed "Nervous to get into the water now".

Bob
[signature]

Not to worry, they are scared of anything not common to their domain, especially if it is larger. They did not eat your stringer WHILE you were there, but waited until there was no activity. Same for most snakes, gators, sharks, etc.. which don't attack boats, float tubes or swimmers. Unless something else at foot. Creatures may attack when you are mistaken for prey (surfboards), OR they are cornered, sick(rabies for land animals), or protecting babies which are very rare situations.

Pon

[quote ydoc]Visited a friend's farm pond yesterday and found out that they have TWO small (5-10 acre) ponds on them. My friend took my grand-kids out in a small row-boat and proceeded to catch some 14-15" crappie!! (No, I didn't have my fishing stuff with me, but sure will next time!)

So he kept some of the crappie to eat later, and hung them on a stringer off the back of the partially-beached boat. We left the area to go play some yard games about 100 yards away.

We went back to get the fish about an hour later and just the heads were left - yep, snapping turtles!! OK, we both learned our lesson that time... but it brought up another question. I had hoped to TUBE-FISH a number of area farm ponds this year (including his), but I have to assume that most - if not all - have snapping turtles. Now snapping turtles CAN BE aggressive and grow to pretty good size (picture the seat portion of a large chair).

MY QUESTION IS... is it safe to tube-fish in waters where snappers are present? Have any of you encountered snapping-turtles while fishing from your tubes??

They have Canadian geese on the property, along with baby goslings. Some of the babies have disappeared and they've surmised that the snappers may have gotten them.

Hmmmm... legs and fins - i.e. webbed feet hanging down into the water. I sure don't want some big ol' snapping turtle to think that I'm the "baby-goose-meal of a lifetime!" [Wink]

Do you think it's safe to fish waters that are also inhabited by snapping turtles? Has anyone heard of any instance where someone - while fishing (not noodling) - was attacked/bitten by a snapping turtle?

Thanks in advance...

Signed "Nervous to get into the water now".

Bob[/quote]
[signature]
I tube around in lakes full of snappers, I am not afraid of getting attacked, but I am a little nervous that they might fall in love! you see they think I am the biggest ugliest snapper in the lake, and they are always coming up for a look. If one ever tries to get kinky I will clobber it in the nose with my light saber!haha!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have fished all over the country, including quite a few ponds with turtles in them. As has already been suggested the turtles are not known for attacking something larger than themselves...unless grabbed, stepped on or provoked. But they will definitely go after any fishy tidbits left in the water. Not only snappers but almost any other species of turtle too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The only "personal encounter" I have had with a turtle was on the Sea of Cortez, while fishing from one of my old round tubes. The water in that inland sea is crystal clear and I was startled to look down on the bottom...about 30 feet below...and to see that I was casting TWO shadows. I turned around to see a large green sea turtle calmly watching me from only a few feet away. It was very close in size to my float tube. But, with my experience and basic knowledge of marine biology I was more enchanted than scared. Those turtles had become quite rare due to massive overharvest for food and turtle oil cosmetic products. I knew that they lived mostly on invertebrates and that since I had a spine (usually) I was not likely on the menu. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My main concern was whether or not this particular creature might be in a "loving mood". With the relative scarcity of other turtles in the area it might be viewing me as a potential "date". I did not know enough about turtleology to let it know that I had a headache.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No worries. After a few neat moments of gazing into each others eyes from only a few feet away the big turtle angled away and swam off in search of a better looking candidate for the prom.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That has always been one of the big attractions of tubing...at least for me. You really do get up close and personal with a lot of wildlife. I have lost count of the number of super experiences I have had with natures creatures while on the water in my donut dinghy...or v boat. Of course I have also had some more "interesting" encounters too...with snakes, gators and small sharks. Nuttin' serious but enough to create a laundry problem in a couple of cases.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Pontoonman, Michael, and TubeDude...

Thank you for your responses. I feel a lot better now about getting into the same water as our turtle-friends.

Although while being worried about loosing "appendages" to a turtle-attack, I have to admit, I had never thought about being mistaken for any amorous encounter! I'll be sure to lay-off of the use of cologne before I hit the water!! [Wink]

Thanks again!
[signature]
Not to worry! I see turtles all the time while on the lake I fish and some of them are about 12" across the shell. Never been attacked by one but they can startle you when they pop up right next to your tube. Interesting thing is: almost every time I see a turtle, I catch a fish soon afterward! WEIRD but that is true for me!
[signature]