Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
jordanelle 8/03
just got back from jordanelle. got on the water about 7 pm in the tube, fished untill 945 pm. caught more perch than i knew what to do with. also caught 1 6" walleye, my first, and i'm so proud that my first one was so freakin' enormous! caught all those on various curly tails. but at about 915 when the sun had just gone down and the water turned to glass we went to a little deeper water and switched to perch colored countdown rapalas and my buddy nailed a 14" smallie and about 5 mins. later i got a 21" 6.75 lb. monster. man what a fight he put up. i had 4 lb. test on ultrlight tackle and it took nearly 10 mins. of lettin him play to get him in. what a rush. it was easily the biggest bass i've ever seen with my own eyes and i've caught some bigguns up there before. that fish alone was worth the $9 price of admission. just wish i had my camera, every time i think i'll go get a new disposable one to keep in the tube i'm gettin a late start so i skip it, but not anymore. oh yeah,, one more thing, the key to the perch is go very small tackle and just keep reelin'it in, if you stop the lure they hit but its hard to hook em.

gonna go back up next weekend with the boat this time, so i'll post another report then.
[signature]
Great report jj74, what a hog smallie. I love my small digital camera, it fits in my shirt pocket and you don't have to pay to have the pictures developed. WH2
[signature]
Nice fish and report !! Did you fish the Rock Cliff area ?
[signature]
Nice report. Congrats on the smallie.I might have to give Jordanelle a try. I haven't gotten up there yet this year.
[signature]
Very nice report jj74. Where were you at when you caught that smallie, over by the marina or rock cliff. I may be out there on the weekend. I havent decide. I'll either go to jordanelle, fish lake, blue lake, or newton. Decisions, Decisions.[Wink]
[signature]
Wow, what an awesome fish! I also might be going up to Jordanelle this Saturday morning in my float tube. I hope it works out, I haven't been fishing for 2 weeks! Aaaahhhhhh![crazy]
[signature]
Seems that the walleye population is expanding in Jordanelle!!! Where were you fishing at when you got the walleye. OEJ and myself smoked up all the perch we caught from the perch party and man, talk about a treat, I will take smoked perch to smoked trout anyday!!!!
[signature]
Hey Polokid did you fillet those perch before you smoked 'em. If not tell me how you prep them for the smoker. I'd keep alot more perch if I didn't have to fillet 'em all. It's alot of work fillet 40 or so perch at 10pm when ya have to work in the mornin'.
[signature]
I have discovered that filleting perch is almost as fast as just gutting them!!!! People get kind of tedious on filleting them, I was doing the quick fillet jobs on them, probably wasted a little meat, but out of all the fish we caught, we brought home over 5 lbs of meat. I spent more and attention on filleting wiper, bass, trout, ect. We fillet about 70 perch and did about 3 batches in the little chief smoker. OEJ went to the local fred Meyers and bought the premade packet of brine, let them soak for 6 hrs then put in the smoker for about 3 hours!!! Those little fillets smoke realitively quick. We used alder wood, that is personally one of my favorites for smoking fish. Pretty simple process for smoking fish, if you visit the ice fishing and recipies forum here at BFT you can get some recipies there on how to make home made brine!!!!
[signature]
That sounds tasty too. Maybe you could save some for me to taste[sly] Ive never tasted smoked white fish meat only trout and salmon. I'd like to try it though.
[signature]
opps forgot to login again [sly] I noticed a couple of weeks at Jordanelle that the SMB would only bite when the wind was calm. They were hitting a white jig with a spinner blade on it. But always fun, I will probablyhead up to jordanelle in the next couple of days to hit some spots!!!
[signature]
The smoked perch has dissappeared, yeah all those perch we caught, GONE, ate, between OEJ, his family and me, gone!!! It was that good, but OEJ and a few others are up at jordanelle right now replenishing the missing fish. So we will do another batch and have to meet up with ya for a great day of fishin'
[signature]
Let me know when you go up again and ill go. I just gort p4l's tube, but ill always go in a boat as well.
[signature]