Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horsetooth only getting better
Horsetooth is turning on. Water temp around 51 and the fish are turning on. Saturday we got out there about 6:30am and caught a small bass the first 15 min. but we were looking for walleye so started at the south dam and fish south about 4 miles of the east shoreline. We were get pounded by the wind but fishing was steady(the driftsock was key). Today my wife and I got up there around 3:00pm and fished til 6:30pm. We ended up catching 11 fish (9 walleye,1 smallmouth,1 rainbow). Biggest one was a 19" walleye that I caught but my wife caught 8 of the 11. (We will just call that a tie). She was throwing a deep diving smithwick crank and I used the rest of the tackle box but caught my 3 on a X-Rap. Heres a few pics. good luck
[signature]
Thanks, BlueRapala-

Those are nice walleyes for Horsetooth. I heard the biologist responsible for Horsetooth at a CWA meeting a couple of months ago. He aid there is such a shortage of forage in Horsetooth that an 18-19" walleye might be 7 or 8 years old if I remember right.

I'll reduce the size of your pics when I get some time to make them easier to view, and post something to help with the resizing.

I fished Aurora Res. for a while early Saturday morning until the hurricane drove me off. Let's just say that you two caught 11 more fish than I did. LOL

Thanks for the report!
[signature]
That wind was something else. Strange that it was blowing straight out of the south. I used the drift sock for the first time and I just loved it. It made a world of difference. The boat drifted around .5-1.0 mph just perfect. The wind made some great mud lines and most of the fish on sunday were caught in dirty water. We started skipping clear water and just hitting the mud lines.
[signature]