Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
P-Line or not?
I just got a new 8'6" rod and reel for fishing the Gorge for Macs. I want to be able to troll with it as well as jig up the Macs. I have heard that P-Line Fluorocarbon Fishing line may be the way to go. I also saw a post awhile back about using P-Line but not the Fluorocarbon kind, I think Tarponjim said this, not sure.

Anyone have any input or advise on what line and strength to use for both these applications?
[signature]
I have used P-Line for years although I fly fish. I use it for leaders and as tippet.

I ONLY use the fluorocarbon and for me it works, but again, I use at the most 30' of it.

I don't see why you could string up your reel with your favorite, then put a P-Line leader on it.
P-line is a bit on the $ side and I don't think you need the whole spool out of it. But, again I am a firm believer in Fluorocarbon.
[signature]
P Line Floroclear? That is coated, is that the model you are talking about?
Link to your blog please.
Thanks!
[signature]
This is the stuff I use:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...stid=70409

And my blog is http://utahflygoddess.blogspot.com/ Might have to copy and paste. Check out Joni's store.

PM sent
[signature]
I have seen the coated as well as the full florocarbon and they also make another that is not florocarbon. That is why I ask. What is best or is it worth paying the money?
[signature]
[indent]I was asking too. see FG's link on above post....
[/indent]
[signature]
Haven't used the 100% floro but I have used the CXX super strong and hated it and the P-line Premium and I love it! it's floro coated, has a thinner diameter than any other mono and very very low memory and high abrasion resistance, love it. I've tried most other monos and this is by far the best one i've used, don't know what pound test you should use for macks though.
[signature]
Jigging for macks with an 8'6" rod would be my worst nightmare. I'd quit jigging and guiding first. I use nothing longer than 5'6", and prefer shorter. Line I use to jig is about 6-10 feet of 12 pound P-line CX, connected to braided line ( 30# Power Pro). Florocarbon is a hoax. It's even more of a hoax when you're fishing from 40-100 feet deep, and I hate the way the stuff performs too.

I've fished floro right next to mono. more times than I can count, in both fresh and salt water. NO DIFFERENCE except that knots are harder to cinch down on floro, especially as the diameter increases. Mono is a bit more supple in most cases too, and therefore performs better and presents the lure or bait more naturally.

The rod you have is more the length of a trolling rod to me.
[signature]
I respect your call on the line and realize you have fished for species I can only dream of, but MY opinion of fluorocarbon is a 180 of yours and I have caught a fish or two.

In fact I went fishing with a future employer once that felt as you...no difference.
We fished same water, same fly same tie on, same spot and dang near same presentation....I out fished him 5 to 2. He then tried fluoro tippet and the catch rate was back to even. Coincident, darn strange one.

May be a confidence thing, but I catch more fish with fluorocarbon and so do my students and clients.

All in what you believe. And again, I ONLY fly fish.
[signature]
This post was pertaining to mack jigging and trolling, so I answered in that regard. I don't use it fly fishing because I nearly always fly fish the easy way where it doesn't matter (on top, or stripping something fast).

It might sink your nymph a little deeper if that is the goal, and there might even be a very slim, tiny, miniscule chance that in less than 5 or 6 feet of clear water is is slightly a little bit less visible. Maybe. I've seen no difference when trying to fish dries or streamers, and dries don't float as good with it either.

For the extra money, I doubt its worth the difference, and tests with cameras and human eyes by independent testers have shown that the "light refraction" theory that line manufacturers have been throwing at us is a hoax. I bit on it like everyone else, then "saw the light" (And it was the same with both lines--as was my catch!!)

But, somebody has to keep the line companies profitable, so it might as well be someone else! Nobody can question your fishing abilities, opinions, and especially your still water prowess. I certainly wouldn't!

For mack fishing with heavy lead heads in deep water, it is a complete waste of money, unless you're into donating to line makers profits.
[signature]
When you say Fishing for Mack's and trolling are you going to be using down riggers, planers or just chucking your line out and boating around ?

When it comes to an application were you using a 25 lb line or heavier Ive never noticed a difference between the major brands. P-Line, Berkley, Segular even Trilene.

As far as Flouro and Mono goes thats a debate for the masses everyone has there opinions Flouro is a stiffer with a higher abrasion rate and less stretch but stiffer knots especially in higher lbs weights Mono softer more supple easier to tie knots.

Both lines are tough of nails will last for years. You cant go wrong either way.

Right now I have my trolling rig setup with 40lb Power Pro and 35 lbs Silver Thread shock leaders.

I use P-Line Evolution when fly fishing its thinner diameter makes for great leaders but fly leaders is another subject. [Wink]
[signature]
Jim, I bow to you on this one. You are correct on that deep it can be a waste of money. Little light down there anyway.

Newer fluorocarbon does get a bad rap however. It can make good knots that hold, it is much more suppler than the olden days.
As far as fluoro on dries. actually very nice in the the line is subsurface and not visible. Plus the effect it gives the fly is better.
That is all I am going to say on this.
[signature]
Sinergy, have you cut up any fish with the Power Pro?
While it's fine line, I quit using the stuff (or any braided) on my apllications. I've had steelies that were by rule to be released, and had them cut fins off, eyes , and bellies open. I've caught sturgeon with fins cut off and deep cuts from it. I'm mono only now when I plug or drift SH and 50 lb mono on sturges. You can tell when a Big Sturgeon is wrapped and guys don't seem to want to cut the line and let them be to fight another day.
I haven't trolled with it, I was just curious......
[signature]
First, again to the original poster, go get yourself some 12 pound P-Line CX, and it should work great for jigging. Get a shorter rod too, if you can.

[quote flygoddess]
That is all I am going to say on this.[/quote]

How come? Maybe we need to start this one on the FF board! But in the mean time . . .

I found it to sink, or at least create "wetness" on the pick-up, of my dries. It also pulled the head/eye under and "tilted" the fly head first on many patterns. I fish pretty sparse flies for the most part though. It didn't affect elk hairs, compara duns, bushy dries, foam flies, and all that. Emergers, spinners, and small sparse duns were hard to keep up though, and I fish those the most.

Now ya got me thinking I need to order some "newer" floro tippet from Orvis while they're paying my shipping! Also, I did not have knot problems with the "older" 4x and 5x floro. Just boyancy problems and some stiffness issues that created more drag sooner in the drift. Admittedly, its been about 5 or 6 years since I fished any on my trout leaders though, so maybe its better now.

In the conventional 12-pound to 50-pound sizes, it had to be wetted, and still was harder pull knots tight and didn't always cinch like I wanted it to with uni knots, albrights, biminis, etc. Even stuff from the past couple of years.

(The readers should be soaking up years of experience from both of us on this post)
[signature]
Thank you all for the information. I guess this new rod will be for trolling and not jigging for Macs. Now I have a reason to go get another rod and set it up just for jigging. Thanks Jim!!

I picked up the 12 pound Floroclear coated and I quess that will be my trolling line. It was only $8 so it's worth a try.
[signature]
No I haven't had any cutting of fish with any of the braided lines I also use Spider wire braid on my bass rig and no never have I once ever cut a fish open like you mention. Im sure you probably have more experience than I do Trolling only been trolling for 3 or 4 years now but Ive caught some pretty nice fish around the state no I cant say we have ever cut a fish with it.
[signature]
Thanks. I was just curious about the trolling, I haven't used it that way. The sturgeon roll a lot so it's easy to see how they can wrap and get cut up. S/H are all over the place and you have to keep pressure on them.
[signature]