Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canyon Ferry Tournament
I was wondering if there are any Montana BFT members that fish the Canyon Ferry walleye tournament coming up June 26th and 27th? The wife and I are entered again and looking forward to it, we fished it several years back and had a great time, didn't finish in the money but came close. That was our first trip to the lake and we thought it was beautiful especially the North end. We will be staying at the Silos this trip and hope to meet some BFT'RS if you are in the area. Have a great Memorial Day weekend and remember to support our Troops.[cool]
[signature]
Wow, with over 100 people reading this thread I would have thought some of you would have been fishing this tournament. Maybe not too many people belong to the Montana Walleyes Unlimited. I think you have some great walleye fishing in your state and at least have an organization that helps proliferate the species, which is more than I can say for Utah. Hope everyone had a great holiday and the wife and I are looking forward to fishing Canyon Ferry in a couple weeks.
[signature]
We just returned from Canyon Ferry and had a great time, even though we didn't win any money. Great weather, and met some nice people. I couldn't believe how much the winning weights have dropped since we last fished the tourney. It had dropped from 78 1/2 lbs. to 32 lbs. I would guess from the 20 fish limits on the lake, too bad as that is such a beautiful lake to fish. We also fished trout on our last day there and brought 10 nice Rainbow home to smoke, we also caught several browns that we released.
[signature]
Most Montanans fly fish, ot at least the ones that "fish" do. You would be surprised at the number that don't fish at all. How many boats were in the CF Tourney? Were many of them out of state?
[signature]
The tourney is limited to 150 teams and they always fill. I saw people from WY. ID. ND. and Minn. may have been some other states as well. After the tourney was over we fished trout for our last day and actually saw quite a few boats trolling for trout, most looked to be older couples like the wife and I. I just pulled a batch of fillets off the smoker and they taste pretty good. Time to set down, grab a beer and some smoked fish and watch the NASCAR race in Daytona. Have a great 4th and remember our Military men and women around the world.[fishin]
[signature]
That is awesome that folks come from so far away. Canyon Ferry is not to far from me. I may just have to investigate the fishing there.

Glad you all had fun!

God Bless our Troops!
[signature]
I was hoping to get a job at the Base in Great Falls that I interviewed for a few weeks back, haven't heard anything so I guess I didn't get selected. I was really hoping to get the job and move to Montana. Nice long deer and elk hunts and some great fishing as well. I have a good friend who lives in Anaconda and we have gotten together for some Archery elk hunts in the Big Hole country a few years back, when I last seen him in May he said the wolves are really starting to raise hell with the Elk and Deer in that country, that really sucks.
[signature]
Montana will for sure be my final residence, I lived in Bear Creek(South of Red Lodge) for a while and still day dream about going back. I will probably look into moving somewhere between Dillon and Billings just gotta find the money and the chance to leave everything behind me.

Its good to hear about other lakes to fish for 'eyes in MT. The only one I knew about was Cooney. While I was there someone caught a 13 lb eye in the night during July. The fish made the local news papers. [shocked]
[signature]
Quite a few places in Montana hold walleye or sauger. Log on to the Walleyes Unlimited of Montana site lots of good info and reading along with some great pictures of fish caught.
[signature]