Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
broken rod advice
Hey guys I broke my rod a little while ago, and have been trying to find the right size ferrule to put it together. Nowhere I've been has ferrules for fishing poles. I was told by one guy that having a pole connected by a ferrule doesn't really fix the problem. I don't have my receipt for the pole when I bought it so I'm going to call the manufacturer as a last resort (the rod was a zebco slab seeker spinning combo) has anyone ever had to piece a broken rod together and had success with it? Where can I find decent ferrules for my rod?
[signature]
You can get rod biulding supplies on jannsnetcraft .com and there's a few others also I think one is mudhole .com

Utwalleye and tubedude both have extensive rob biulding experience and would be able to tell you how and if it would worth it. PM one of them if they don't chime in here

Hope this helps.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The potential success of a repair depends a lot on where the break is. If it is in the bottom half of the rod I can usually do an "internal splice" that will be a lot more flexible than a ferrule and almost invisible depending upon the color of the rod and the thread I use to wrap the repair. Over many years of building and repairing rods I have lots of pieces of rods...of all diameters. I find one that will fit up inside the two pieces of the broken rod and then epoxy a length of it inside to form about a 3" overlap on each side of the break. Then it is wrapped and epoxied on the outside. Often stronger than the original rod and much more flexible and feels better than a ferrule.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff][inline SPLICE.jpg]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you live in the Salt Lake area, or can make the trip, I will be happy to look at the "patient" and render a diagnosis. Shoot me a PM and I will give you my address and directions.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Ferrule? Doesn't one end slide into the other end? The Ferrule is where the two sections of the rod connect. One slides into the other or one side has a solid plug so to speak that slides into hollow end of the second piece.

When you say buy a ferrule, are you talking metal ones like on Bamboo or older rods?
[signature]
If your rod can't be replaced. buy an Ugly Stick than you wont have this problem.
[signature]
If you repair the rod you're still going to have a weak point that can be a problem if you hook something large. I know those Zebco slab seeker rods are kind of a specialty item but they are still fairly cheap. I would just go buy another one.
[signature]