Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockfish flies
So the wife and kids and I are heading to the Oregon coast next month, and I'm either going tuna fishing if they're in close yet, or bottom fishing for rockfish and ling cod and such. I've been tying some flies (I'll post pics tonight or tomorrow) for the rockfish, but I was wondering if anybody had any advice on patterns that work better than others. I realize rockfish are about as smart as a pencil eraser, but I still like to make my flies look cool...
[signature]
I finally got around to taking a picture of some of the "rockfish" flies....
Any input or advice would be appreciated
Thanks!

[inline 010.JPG]
[signature]
they look awesome ... have you used them before.. if so.. where and how did you do with them.. ??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I'll be using them in Oregon above a heavy jig on the bottom. Unfortunately actual fly fishing won't be possible in this circumstance, but I wanted to try to come as close as I could, so I wanted to tie my own flies. I've used flies above a jig in Oregon quite a few times before, the problem was i can't really remember any specifics about the flies, so I tried to search for rockfish flies on the internet, and tried to copy what little I could find.
[signature]
they look good to me.. the test will be in the water... please be sure to post the results ... with pictures if you can.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Well I just got back and fishing was great! I actually only ended up using the yellow and red ones, but they worked great. After using a couple of my own, I started using the ones that they provided on the boat, which looked pretty much exactly like mine (except not as cool of course!). Here's a couple of pics:

[inline "Little Ling.jpg"]
[inline "Quilback Rockfish.jpg"]
[inline "Yellow Tail Rockfish (Bait).jpg"]

Oh yea and this little lady!
[inline "Monster Ling cod.jpg"]
[signature]
AWESOME!! ... so your flies were basically the same as the guides... and worked..

that last "little lady" is ... well... AWESOME !!! looks like you had a great trip....

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Yep they worked just as well as the guide's flies, and held together MUCH better. I should add that in my last post I meant to say "after loosing a couple of mine" (instead of using) I decided to use his (it was pretty snaggy until I got the hang of it and to be fair I only lost one of his)
and that big ling cod was by far my biggest one ever and a blast to bring in! The best part is that I got to release her to play another day (and make more babies)!
[signature]
Awesome.... ! sounds like a good time on the water.. and it always feels much better when you catch fish on flies you tied.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]Hi there iliketofish and thank you for the pictures and report. it is not too often that we are privy to the flies one will be using and then shown the fish that they caught. Cool.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Try these tips of mine if you would.
1. Make sure your salt water fishing rod is equipped with 30 lb. test fishing line.
2. On the leader, you'll want to attach anywhere from 3 to 5 shrimp flies to the line, at about 8 inch intervals. Each fly should be dangling from a 4 inch drop line.
3. At the end of the rig, attach either a 1 lb. sinker or a jigging bar.
4. Then, bait your hooks. The most common bait is chunks of squid, but octopus, shrimp and other fish can be used as well.
5. Finally, while drifting over your chosen fishing spot, drop the line over the side of the boat and jig the rig off the bottom as you go.
[signature]