Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mussel Aware Boater Program
As most of you are aware by now, Utah is getting SERIOUS about the Zebra & Quagga mussel problem. You are required to have a certification form signed and dated for each time you launch [#ff0000]anything that floats[/#ff0000] in any Utah water. This includes floattubes, pontoons, canoes, even an old rubber innertube.

The best solution for those of us who frequently use Utah's waters is to go to the DWR's website and complete a 29 question educational exercise that when passed will allow you to print out a personalized certification form that is good for all Utah waters (except Powell) for the entire year in which it was finished. Just keep a copy in your boat and in your launch vehicle. For tuber's and tooner's I'd just keep it with your fishing license.

It's kind of a pain in the rear, but after reading through the information and taking the test I see why it is required.

Unfortunately, I personally think these little monsters will be in most if not all of Utahs' waters within a decade, and are more than likely already in a bunch of waters that aren't currently listed as "infected". We are fighting a losing battle, but I for one will do my part and be responsible. Will you?
[signature]
Here is a link to a thread about this program. It also has a link to the website to take the test.
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/gforum.cgi?post=587776;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/gforum.cgi?post=587776;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread[/url]
[signature]
Or here:

http://wildlife.utah.gov/mussels/form_options.php
[signature]
Thanks for the link! Didn't take that long to complete and it was full of some good info, specifically the potential different requirements for different bodies of water.
[signature]
Self certification only works with those that are honest. How about having a barcode on the boat registration stickers. Have a manned station at infected waters. Also have all waters that have manned pay stations participate. All boats coming into the marina must have their sticker scanned with a wireless barcode scanner. They keep a database of where you have been, and it drops off the list after the required time for the invasive species to die. If you get your boat decontaminated at a station, they scan your boat barcode removing the restriction. If your boat was in an infected water before the mandatory kill times are up, you try to enter a new water, your barcode is scanned, your boat is flagged in the system, and you must have a mandatory cleaning, if available, or you are turned away. Of course, this would require a multi-state cooperation, etc., and would cost money. However, that is one way to greatly improve compliance and decrease the chance of expansion of the problem. Yes, I know this isn't perfect, but something along these lines would be great. Everything else is simply based on hope and faith of everyone being honest.
[signature]
Or they could just " take ya out back and shoot ya"! [Image: scaredworried.gif]

That test was tricky, but informative. I've had Physics/Trig tests that were easier!! Alot of "all of these" answers, most of which made no sense and were the same, just re-worded, but none the less...it's DONE!

If they went to the bar code for my boat....how long before I get one TATTOO'd to my wrist or forehead??!! GEEEZZZZ!
At least Utah is not scalping it's citizens like Wyoming is! They are doing it for FREE....FOR YOU!! SO BE HONEST!!!
[signature]
Well, I have seen far more extensive restrictions. How would you like to have to choose which lakes you are permanently allowed to have your boat on? In Maryland, to prevent the influx of zebra mussels, if you choose to fish on one of the 3 main reservoirs that happen to supply drinking water for Baltimore, you cannot use that boat on any other lake but those three! Furthermore, you have to obtain a special permit for one of those lakes. I guess they take the spread of zebra mussels very seriously for at least those waters. I would hope it doesn't come to that in Utah.
[signature]
GottaBite- is - totally right.
the test sucked. it was however the informative and educational exercise that it was meant to be. we're not lookin' for grades here, just to get smarter, and know how to protect our resource. - delay the inevitable, hopefully long enough for real solutions to be found.
[signature]
For me, barcodes are going a little too far. We have enough of Big Brother already without something else added to the equation.
But, as responsible boaters, float tubers, kickboaters, pwc operators, if you see anyone trying to bypass the law by sneaking in the waters, it's your duty to report them. I hope the tickets given to no-conformers (those who don't think they need to fill out the forms, or take the test), or just plain don't give a crap, get pretty heavy until they understand how big the problem really is....
[signature]
I just did the certification form. I have 2 kayaks, can I just print the an extra form for the second kayak? I'm always there when the 2nd kayak is used.
[signature]
you need to ask a DWR officer that question. I'm not sure how the law would interpret it.
[signature]
[quote GottaBite]At least Utah is not scalping it's citizens like Wyoming is! They are doing it for FREE....FOR YOU!! SO BE HONEST!!![/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Sorry GB - but NOTHING the government does for you is ever FREE! The citizens (that would be us) pay for it one way or the other. If it ain't by fees, then its by taxes.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
[quote GottaBite]
At least Utah is not scalping it's citizens like Wyoming is! They are doing it for FREE....FOR YOU!! SO BE HONEST!!![/quote]

I would not call charging us poor residents of Wyoming ten dollars a year,for the ais sticker a scalping
[signature]
Idaho is getting serious as well. Went to Boise this weekend via Bendover/Wells/Jackpot. Between Jackpot and Twin, there was a mandatory check stop for all boats.
Some friends came up to Boise from Elko and just south of Breauno, before CJ Strike, he said they had one there as well. I am sure they weren't just checking for life jackets...
[signature]
Last week I emailed the DWR about kickboats, float tubes etc. Here's the response I got
If it floats, its a boat and requires filling out of the subject form. Its the law!

[signature]