Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beef liver?
I'm trying different catfish baits to try to find a keeper, has anyone ever used beef liver? I think they would be good but I've never tried.
[signature]
i've tried it several times and preferr it to chicken liver becasue it stays hooked better and has lots of blood
[signature]
I use chicken livers when I fish too. We tried beef liver a couple times but it doesnt do too well.

Try wraping some thread around the liver to hold it in place or get small onion sacks and put liver in there and wrap thread around the top of it.
[signature]
my number one channel cat bait is plain raw chicken meat. A big chunk of leg or thigh meat works awesome.
[signature]
I have heard deer liver works good. Was thinking about trying some elk liver. My favorite is fish meat, cut bait, carp, sucker, chub. Minnows work good too. They like crawdad tails , shrimp, squid. Catfish charlie blood bait "B" works good if you can handle the smell. It looks like dog log and smells like it too, but it works good. Seen a few people get the dry heaves and talk to ralph when they got a whiff.
[signature]
I haven't heard anything of beef liver. But, I have heard turkey livers work about as good as chicken livers. I haven't heard of any kind of liver working better than chicken livers, though.
me and my friend went to local groccery store and found out they were sold out of chicken livers, so we bought frozen beef livers and we didnt get a bite. It could be that there were no cats in the area but the frozen beef livers was twice as much as the chicken livers so i doubt if i will ever try that experiment again.
[signature]
[quote montananinnv]my number one channel cat bait is plain raw chicken meat. A big chunk of leg or thigh meat works awesome.[/quote]

thanks for the tip! I was going to post a forum asking whether raw chicken works or not! As of beef liver, it's popular where I'm from (Northern burbs of Chicago), but that may be because it's cheaper here. I've tried on the Fox where it drains into the chain of Lakes and snagged a snapper and a drum but no cats. I've seen other people catch smaller forktails with beef liver, but I've had better luck with poultry. I've also read that chicken blood appeals more to cats. Now I just try to go with cut baits.

If there's a kosher slaughterhouse near you, talk with the rabbis to see if you can have the blood that they drain in preparation. I learned that tidbit from my grampa. If you're in the South, try catalpa worms for eating size fish. And if you want trophy flatheads, I heard from old timers in Central City Iowa that bullheads hooked on the dorsal fin can land you a large one (but remember to cut their spines).

I'd love to hear about deer liver; my old man and his family are venison fiends with a good shot.
[signature]