Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marine battery.
Anyone know of a good deal on a marine deep cycle battery? I just purchased a trolling motor for my pontoon and now am in the market for a battery. Intermountain battery has a compact deep cycle marine battery for sale for $75 and the guy told me that is what he uses for his. Just wondering if anyone else has a preference on one or knows of any better deals out there. Flygoddess suggested NAPA and also said go with the bigger battery. Any info would be much appreciated.
[signature]
Walmart/Sams or Costco have good deep-cycle batteries. If you have an old one, take it to the Exide plant out by the airport for a screaming deal.

And yes, bigger is better.
[signature]
Napa and Auto Zone as well.
[signature]
The only thing I use is Interstate Deep Cycle Marine batteries, I've tried a few different brands including Exide and Die Hards. I'm not sure where you live but I bought 3 last year from Fred's Marine in Layton for around $75.00 each, these were 27 series. I run 3 in my boat, 3 in my 5th wheel and one in my Lance camper. I'm sure everybody has their own preferences but these have worked fine for me.
[signature]
Wal-Mart's deep cycles have an 18-month FREE replacement warranty, and the price is very right. They're all I use, and I go through a few charge cycles from full to dead every season!
[signature]
They are all pretty equal. One thing though you should get the biggest battery you can. As the old addage goes" better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"[Smile]
[signature]
Ditto on the Interstate batteries. I run five in my boat. Tried others and always go back to Interstate
[signature]
I just had to replace my Walmart battery. It was six years old. I don't think that is too bad.
[signature]
[quote Tarponjim]Wal-Mart's deep cycles have an 18-month FREE replacement warranty[/quote]

You may want to ask your local store on this one. I bought a 75ah deep cycle battery from the Lindon Wal-mart for my tube, and was told that they no longer give the warranty on them.

The explanation I received was that people "over" charged them improperly, etc. and returned them thinking it was defective. I was told that they should really be charged with a 1.5-2amp charger. Right or wrong, that was what I was told.
[signature]
I heard the same thing while I was Walmart a few days ago.
[signature]
I just bought a battery at the Brigham City Walmat and the clerk told me to keep the receipt because they had just reinstated the 18 month warrenty.
[signature]
They make a good battery that will last thru many recharges, the three I replaced last year had seen seven seasons in the old Crestliner. You get what you pay for and they have a pretty good warranty program that is pro-rated.
[signature]
I have a Blue top optima in my boat. And it has not disappointed.
[signature]
I use Standard Battery Supply down on Redwood Rd and about 1500 south. They are the guys that supply to Interstate, napa, parts plus. yadda yadda... they have all batteries beginning with cheapo stuff all the way up to the yellow and red top Optimas in both wet cell and AGM type batteries. for my boat i use gel-cell (AGM) they are sealed dont need fluid checked or added, no messing with that "electrolyte" crap and acids. basically it is a glass matting wrapped around a "plate" and the gel is the "activator" containing the acids/elcrtolytes much better, and if they tip over, it does not matter except for the weight pulling on wires.

I like the Trojan brand when I dont want to spend top dollar on an Optima, they also will be able to service the battery for you on the warranty right then and there too... I even took a battery there I got at Jiffy Lube once and it was one of theirs so they honored the warranty. I like to use the 5 years.... and IF you get a battery from them, and it has to be warrantied on year 3....the warranty starts over for anohter 5 years, that is the way they have always treated me. the retailers are the ones that put the prorating on them for reduced cost, but still cost.

Redwood Road about 1500 south on the west side of the road.
[signature]
Costco price is $69!
Core charge of $10. if you don't have one to trade.
[signature]