Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba Reservoir 7 June
THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM.
Sunday afternoon I had just returned from a short trip to Utah Lake. The fishing had been good for white bass and channel catfish and I was looking forward to a drink and a relaxing evening when the phone rang.
After a few minutes of pleasantries the Wireman got to the reason for his call. “What have you planned for tomorrow?” He queried.
“Nada! You want to go to Yuba?” I inquired knowing the answer before I even asked the question. Wireman is the consummate angler and jumps at every opportunity to fish regardless of specie, method of fishing or water. He is young, but he makes up in pure fishing experience as well as enthusiasm for the sport. Tempered over several years onboard offshore charter boats in Kona Hawaii, the lad knows his business and is a great joy to fish with.
My affectionate nickname for him, Wireman, is a reference to his occupation aboard the big charter boats in Kona. The wireman is the critical link in the team that is composed of the boats captain, the mate and the angler. Among other things, the wireman takes the leader in his hand and literally, controls the often thrashing, belligerent fish before it is tagged, gaffed or released at boat side. This requires experience, skill, strength and certainly, bravado. The success of the trip or charter often depends on the wireman. With a giant marlin, approaching 1,000 pounds or huge tuna in the several hundred pound class or perhaps, most dangerous, a monster shark that can exceed 800 pounds along the boat as it moves through rolling seas, one can realize that this is a dangerous job at best and the wireman must truly love the sea and the sport of big game fishing to consider this occupation.
Lesser denizens of the deep were on the agenda. Kona Hawaii is 4 thousand miles away………Yuba Reservoir is at hand. The choice was easy. We knew we would be lucky to get in three hours of fishing before the big winds preceding the storm that has settled over us now, arrived. Three hours is very little time when you are in pursuit of a big northern, especially from Yuba. The fish are difficult and their numbers dwindle as the state department of wildlife resources encourages their killing.
Three hours was all we had. We were undaunted. It was 8:30 when we launched from Oasis state park. The water was flat and the skies absolutely clear. No other boats were on the water. Hopefully the pike were on the feed and calmed down after the boat traffic over the week-end.
The first 15 minutes of the morning were spent traveling up the reservoir. I cut the big motor and the 22-foot center console quietly glided along the rocky shoreline. Wireman dropped the electric motor into the water and in seconds we were casting. Twelve rods were rigged and ready. Wireman had 3 in the bow, 3 others were at hand beside me. Each was adorned with a different lure. No time was wasted changing up different lures. When something else seemed desirable no time was wasted…just pick up another rod and resume casting. No words were spoken. There was nothing to say. Every detail was acknowledged silently by the other. Wireman worked the shoreline like a machine casting accurately to the structure that the big pike prefer. Propped on the leaning post my casts followed his with a different lure.
An hour had passed without a take. I watched his crankbait as it hit the shallow edge. In my peripheral vision I saw the violent hook set. The rod bent deeply. I reeled in, stored the rod and raised the big motor to prevent the pike from fouling the line on the motor. Wireman was using a light 7’ rod and the pike pushed it to its limit. He didn’t say anything. All his concentration was at the task at hand. Twice then a third time the fish made long runs. We hadn’t seen the fish in the murky stained water, but both knew it was a good fish.
Normally I don’t use a net on pike as they twist and can hurt themselves, but there was one on board and I got it out. After 15 minutes the fish came to the net and I lifted in aboard. “Nice fish,” I remarked to a smiling wireman.
What do you think”, he queried, “ A yardstick?” Thirty six inches is the standard I use to judge pike. A yardstick is a worthy fish. Anything less is……well, something other!
A half hour later I caught a walleye. It wasn’t big and like all walleye battles, it was non-descript, but it was the first walleye I have caught in Yuba for many years. We placed it in the live well for Wireman’s dinner.
Shortly after 11 the wind began. Blowing from the Southwest at 15 knots it prevented boat control and as it steadily strengthened it became hazardous so we put the boat on the trailer. The pike was weighed, measured and released.
It wasn’t the greatest day I’ve ever had on Yuba, but like all the others, both on fishing catching days and just fishing days, it was successful. As we drove back to town our banter was about the next trip and the chance to catch a new state record. The never ending pursuit of an absolute giant.
[url "http://utahfishingguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/ryan-pike-walleye2.jpg"][Image: ryan-pike-walleye2.jpg][/url]
[signature]
super nice pic. glad to see eyes still swimming in yuba.[Wink]
[signature]