Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
toon trolling motor
Can someone tell me please what would be
good size of trolling motor ( lb trust) for a toon.
And how big of a battery.
Thank you.

Peter
[signature]
30# thrust will do, if you have the $ go for a digital maximizer and they start at 40# thrust, i believe. a size 27 deep cell look for the higest amp hrs you can afford and if you get a sealed deep cell you won't need to worry about any acid damage.
[signature]
The higher the amp hours on the battery, the more it weighs. --- From about 50 lbs on up. Just make sure that it is a deep cycle, and recharge it as soon after you use it as you can. Usually I don't use my battery to troll all day so I don't need that many amp hours and can use a smaller battery.

I picked mine up from Costco when they had them on sale.
[signature]
I agree with Idahopanfish on the motor. However a Minn Kota 36 is perfect for pontoons and the price is right.
As for Batteries, TROJAN is my #1 choice if you can afford it, but I agree with Idahopanfish on that as well.
Yeah they are heavy, but I manage, and I am a scranny girl...excuse me, WOMAN, excuse me again....OLD woman[cool]
[signature]
On rereading my previous post- my answer didn't convey what I meant it to.

What I meant is that you need to decide how much you are going to be using your motor. Think about where you fish and how far you plan on traveling in your toon. That will help you decide how big of a battery you need. Shoot for more capacity rather than less. Mine is 85 amp hrs and weighs about 60 lbs, it is fine for my needs. I don't anticipate that I will need more than that. I use it to move to far areas and to fight the wind. When actively fishing it is mostly off. I like to kick - it is a habit!

I know that there are several on here that use batteries in the 115 amp hour range and I think they work well for them.

With the flotation of your pontoon you don't really need to worry about the weight other than as a factor in how far you want to carry it and in balancing your boat. Put the battery as close to center and as close behind you as you can.

As far as motor for your pontoon boat, I would get one in the area from 35 to 50# thrust. Again think about if you are going to use it to really move and get across a fair sized lake. If you can the dig. maximizer would help. With it the slow speeds don't use as much power and your battery last longer. The regular TM without is use the same amount of power for low speeds as for high, so I travel on high to get places.
[signature]
The problem is, no one plans on using them allot, but it happens. There is a breeze pushing you, all of a sudden you realize, why am I kicking, the motor can hold me in place.
These two are right on the Max thing. I bought one a couple years ago. The nice thing is, you don't go 1-2-3-4-5, the prop speeds up the more you turn the handle. You can make it barely turn which is way cool.

My point is, you have it, you will use it, just be sure you have your fins or Oars with you or both[Wink]

Our last outing was a three dayer. I have the MAXXUM 40 (no longer made) and a NAPA Stowaway 27. When I got home I check the battery....80%.
The thing is, the motors won't completely drain a battery. They need a certain amount to operate and it could be like 10. volts.
[signature]
Good point on the multiple day camping trips. Knowing how bad the wind has been blowing, that is a good battery! How many amp hrs is the rating on your battery?
[signature]
180 reserve and 105 amp hours.
[signature]
5 HP 4 stroke. 57 lbs.
[signature]
So what is this digital maximizer ? Is it built in the motor
or battery or what is it ?
Please help. Im so lost when comes to this.
Thank you.

Peter
[signature]
I might have this wrong, but this is my understanding on the basic electronics of it.

In a regular dc motor the speed is controlled by the amount of voltage you apply. Since you only have a 12 volt supply the control splits the voltage and sends part to the motor and part to a resistance load. To the battery it is always 12 volts or the same amount of energy for the slow speed or the high speed on the motor. It gives the energy you just aren't using it to move the prop instead part of it goes to heat. There is no advantage in using slow speed as far as how long your battery lasts. It will last the same if it is on the lowest or the highest.

A digital maximizer does not split the power to a speed (heat) coil. It uses electronics to actually reduce the amount of time the load is coming from the battery on the slow speeds. By micro seconds of on and offs, accomplished electronically, it reduces the drain on your battery in proportion to the speed or power you apply. Running your motor on the slower speeds actually does use less battery power.
[signature]
I would like to get a trolling motor too. I was looking at the Minn Kota 34 endura? It is 120.00 but I have been thinking that maybe I better not rush into it do some looking around and reasearch it.
On the gas motor. A friend of mine wanted to sell me one but instead I sold it for him. I was worried about gas on the pontoons. I am sure that gas would not do them any favors.
Ron
[signature]
Ok, thank you for the explanation. Now it totally makes
sense me.
I DO want the maximizer for sure. Now, is that something
that is built into the trolling motor or where is it ?

Peter
[signature]
MINN KOTA TRAXXIS 45 - is that a good one?

Minn Kota® Traxxis 45 Transom-Mount Trolling Motor

[Image: s7_020895_imageset_02?%24main-Large%24]

[url "http://javascript:openFlashWindowBig('/cabelas/en/common/product/popupzoom.jsp?company=cabelas&image=s7_020895_imageset_02&inStockColor=1111&displayName=Minn Kota Traxxis 45 Transom-Mount Trolling Motor&tProdID=0061252020895a','remote')"][Image: both.gif][/url]
[Image: rating.gif] 5 out of 5

[li]Unparalleled versatility and convenience [li]Deploys to 10 different positions [li]Ergonomic handle tilts 45° and extends 6" [li]Quick-Lock cam for easy depth adjustments [li]New collar for adjustable steering tension [li]True vertical stowing [/li][Image: widetab.gif][Image: black-spacer.gif]
Additional Info• [url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/product_features/buyers_guide/pages/hardgoods/fishing/pf_ross_trolling_motor_guide.html"]Buyer's Guide[/url]
[Image: digitalmax_minnkota.gif][Image: 2yrwarranty_MinnKota.gif][Image: usa_51x41.gif]
Representing the next generation of transom-mounted trolling motors, the Traxxis delivers unparalleled versatility and convenience. Bracket design offers true one-hand stowing and easy deployment. The motor deploys to any of 10 different positions. Ergonomic handle tilts up 45° and extends up to 6" for optimal comfort and control. Change depths simply and securely with Traxxis Quick-Lock cam adjuster. It makes depth adjustment simple and locks in tight to keep your motor right where you want it. The innovative collar above the Traxxis mount allows you to adjust steering tension to your desired level. You can keep it loose for effortless steering or tighten it down to keep Traxxis in place, allowing for true vertical stowing. Multiple shaft interface points greatly improve steering tension. Digital Maximizer™ technology provides up to five times longer run time on a single charge, and it controls the draw of power at variable speeds to conserve battery power and extend run time. A push-to-test battery meter instantly shows battery-charge status. An indestructible composite shaft flexes on impact and is guaranteed for life. The patented Weedless Wedge is the only 100% weedless prop in the history of fishing. And it delivers full power, so there's no need to carry an extra prop and wrench. Made in USA.
[Image: black-spacer.gif][Image: cbottom1.gif]
Minn Kota® Traxxis 45 Transom-Mount Trolling Motor Item:IA-020895
$319.99
Actually, on ours, the gas is no where near the toons, but I am sure they would be fine after a wipe off. Mojo's has a gas tank (plastic) that is under his seat.

After watching Mojo and a gentleman at Strawberry last year the used his motor the same as I do my electric (with feet still in water) When my electric goes, I am going with gas.
[signature]
How was he mounting the gas motor so that you can still kick and it not be in the way? Was it on a toon or the X5?

The other problem I see is the start up of the motor. Was he trolling all the time with it on?
[signature]
It was a regular pontoon. Smaller gas, like maybe a 3. The gas was IN the motor. He was starting it and moving to a spot then turning it off and kicking.
The Nissan Mojo got has an IDLE, which is a must in my opinion. It starts easy enough.
Oh and this was pushing the gentleman , like Mojos, but you can run in reverse and be pulled.
I will more than likely go with a 3.5 or a 4. A 15" shaft is long enough, so 39 lbs on the 3.5 and for some reason the 4 weighs the same as the 5 at 57 lbs.
Nissan IS made by Merc. Oh and the 3.5 is about $200. less than the 4.
[signature]
Digital maximizer is Minn Kota's name for their PWM motor control. Other companies might call it a pulse or wave motor control or pwm etc. You might look around.

If you have an older TM you can also add an external PWM motor control that is designed for the proper amperage of your motor. (pulse wave modulation)

My disclaimer: I am not advocating that any one does that. If you have a new motor I am sure it would void your warranty. It might be tricky for someone not used to working with electronics. I have thought about it, but have not done this myself yet. I am not sure how well it works. I am sure that there are probably some out there that have done it. I haven't really researched it completely yet. etc.
[signature]
[quote cpierce]How was he mounting the gas motor so that you can still kick and it not be in the way? Was it on a toon or the X5?

The other problem I see is the start up of the motor. Was he trolling all the time with it on?[/quote]
Most of my fishing is pretty much parked. I anchor down or drift fish. I hate to troll. Cast and strip if using streamers (not too often). Chironomid fishing with a static line or I use a type VII sinking and drop it straight down.

Static style- just a slip indicator- here the flies are about 23' down.
[Image: IMG_5942.jpg]

I have a 7" pedestal. (changing back to the regular low rider seat is 4 bolts w/wingnuts. Rowing when the motor is off is a breeze. It's a one- half-hearted pull to get the motor started. With the lower seat (stock seat) you can still use fins. I love those Omega Flip Fins[cool]
[Image: IMG_0941.jpg]

Here's a couple pictures from the back.
[Image: IMG_0952.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0954.jpg]

Pushing Pokymon to the other end of the lake. (Note Poky's Flip Fins[cool])
[Image: IMG_0943.jpg]

Joni in the background
[Image: IMG_0950.jpg]

Coolest thing about a gas motor is WHO CARES IF IT'S WINDY!!!!!!!!!!!!![Smile][reply][/reply]
[signature]
I was forgetting that the X5 doesn't have the inflatable floor! That is why I had all the questions. duh[blush]

Sweet set up!! It is great that they have smaller motors in 4 stroke that don't weigh all that much.

Love that Idaho wind. NOT!
[signature]