Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just got a tube, now i need waders and fins any suggestions?
Hey guys,

I just got my first tube for my birthday, now I'm looking into some waders and fins. I'm a little on the big size about 6' 1"
and about 320. I wear a size 13 or 14 shoe depending on the shoe. I just want to get out on the water and try this thing out!!
If anyone has any suggestions i would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Bigmoose70
[signature]
With all do respect make sure that your new tube
is made your a guy of your size.
The best way to buy waders, fins it to try it on if you can.
Cabelas has some good stuff and easy exchange policy.
Hope this helps .

Peter
[signature]
Suggestions:

Read all you can on here.

Go with someone the first time for sure.

If you can't go with someone at least make sure there are others near by.

Start on a small body of water i.e. tibblefork.

Don't make the first trip so long you get anywhere near exhausted. Think 4 to 6 hours and that's if you're healthy. At least plan on a half hour break every 3 to 4 hours until you are more sure of your limits.

As for waders/shoes buy the best you can afford. Plan on plenty of time to try stuff on. Leave the shoes and waders on for a few minutes to make sure you're comfortable. Walk around the store a while too. Make sure you wear wool socks. It will be real uncomfortable to choose your boots wearing cotton socks and then try to wear a heavy wool pair this fall/winter.

Don't buy them on the way to your first fishing trip. You will not take the time you need to to get a good fit.
[signature]
Try the waders on, make sure there is plenty of room. Try all the movements, standingm, bending and sitting (most important). I have the stocking foot type with a felt soled booty, wanted as light of shoe as possible.
[signature]
I always told customers to squat. That is the true test.

Okay, I prefer "Light" boots because I wade and walk long distances, but in a float tube or pontoon where zero buoyancy, does it matter if the shoes are light weight?

I ask because I wear Boot Foot hippers on my pontoon which are pretty heavy outside the water, not to mention my Force Fins. But in the water they are not noticed.
[signature]
Squat that's the WORD I was looking for. Whether boot or stocking foot depends on what feels right. I prefer the stocking foot, my fins don't feel loose, and lighter is better, again that's me. I quess you could say - what ever floats you tube/
[signature]
Absolutely, I am just saying in water, there is zero buoyancy. I was told the Force Fins are heavy, but in the water, you won't notice...that is my experience.

Same with my boot foot hippers. To walk around out of water...yes very heavy and tiresome. In the water...Nope.

My waders do have the neoprene foot, but the price I pay for waders, I am not putting the fins straight on with out a shoe of some sort. I have had several shoes wear out from fins. (nice thing about the FF, they are the only pair that leave no wear on shoes)
[signature]
I tried a pair of neoprene boot foot waders for cold water use. I found with the heavy lugged boot feet in my Outcast fins to be practicly useless.
The problem was not the weight so much as the heavy somewhat ridged boot foot did not allow for the ankle movement needed for steering or kicking movement.
It is tough to explain, but I was happy to finally get the short distance back to shore.
Keep in mind these waders were made for winter wear.
Illinoisgiller
[signature]