Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wondering about rod/reel setup
Gentlemen,
I'm thinking of getting a Lamiglas certified pro x96jc or x96jc gh. Specs are as follows: 9'6" rod, lure weight range: 1/4-3/4,line weight:6-15lb, action:fast, power medium, type: steelhead jig.

What i am wondering is.. Is this rig good enough for river fishing for Salmon/steelhead? What reel would be a good match up for this rod? Any help at all is appreciated.

SOTA
[signature]
I think that might be a little bit more heavy duty than you need. Depending on the type of rivers or streams you'll be fishing and the size of the fish you are targeting, you may want to go with something smaller/shorter. 6lb line is the smallest that rod is designed for. I rarely use larger than 6lb for trout so it would work but may not be the best for your needs.

A 9-1/2' rod may be unwieldy and difficult to use on rivers where there are trees and obstructions along the bank. A long rod like that would offer greater casting distance but you might not need it if you're fishing small rivers. If the rivers you fish are very large and you need really long casts, the 9.5' might do the trick.

If you're just getting started I would recommend a 6-7' rod.
I'm not saying you wouldn't catch fish on the 9' rod, it just might not be the easiest to use.
Just my $0.02, have fun out there, whatever you decide.

Fish on[fishin]
[signature]
Erawk,
I have a trout setup. It is a 5' ul rig with 4lb test.

What i am looking for now is a dedicated salmon/steelhead rig. As for the river... i have fished the Cowlitz. Kinda a wide river. I am wading in so not much bank fishing.

I am always open to advice. If you have a recommended rod/reel setup feel free to say so.

Thanks,
SOTA
[signature]