Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alpine
Has anyone had a chance to get into the lakes above 7000ft in SW/Central ID?
[signature]
I seriously doubt if any has made it to the high mountain lakes yet. With all the cold and late snow we had a lot of those places are still snowed in.
[signature]
We got new snow on the 7,000 ft peaks yesterday. I am pretty sure that very little if anything is open yet.

Here is a link to a webcam at Stanley, Idaho. The camera is located at 6,200 ft. If you look at the mountains around Stanley you can get a pretty good idea of the current snow level up there. You can also use Google Earth to tell you the elevation of what you can see on the camera.

http://www.sawtoothcamera.com/

Most of our high mountain lakes that you hike into are above 8,000 ft at least. Usually mid to late July is a safer bet.

Do you have a particular place or area in mind?
[signature]
no particular place in mind. I know there is still a lot of water in the high country...just was curious if anyone has had a chance to go out exploring...
[signature]
I forgot to add this information:

You can get a rough idea of the snow levels by using the daily fire imagery satellite maps. Just click on the true color jpg to expand the picture. Using it and comparing google earth you can roughly see where the heaviest snow is. That doesn't mean that lower down there aren't drifts and lakes aren't frozen, and roads aren't closed. The sat image will only show the heaviest mountain snow. You can also look at the snowtel weather sites.

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/imagery....=id-mt-000

The sky isn't always clear so you may have to back up a day or two to see your area of interest. It is nice to be able to see some current sat images to see how much mountain snow has receded --- or not. This year it is "or not"!
[signature]
thats great...thanks again.
[signature]