Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
River Pants....
Im a little Confused as to what these pants are and what they can be used for...

the first time I saw them I thought they were like a lightweight nylon shell that could be used as a substitute to waders...

looked at some at cabelas on line the description sounds more like a lightweight substitute for rain pants....

does anyof ya'll own these or know more about how they are made and what they are designed for??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Sorry cant help you, I go naked.................[angelic]
[signature]
I have two pair from Orvis and two pair from Sportsman's with Zip off Legs.
The are light weight, breathable, water repellent pants. Not water proof. But they dry very quickly. I wet wade with them. They are great when going through brush or heavy bug infested ground fill.
[signature]
so would be comfortable to use on small streams, shore fishing... like I do (will be doing in a few weeks) in middle TN?

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Very comfortable. They are my choice under waders as well.
[signature]
hmmmmmm may have to look into this a little more... any suggestions on which ones to use/get...?/

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I have a couple of pair that I like to wear in the summer. Yes, they are light and breathable and dry quickly like FG says. They also provide a little protection when forging through the brush and prickly weeds and grass. It offers a little protection from scrapping against poison oak. Not much but better than bare legs. They also help keep that lilly white sheen on my boney legs and prevents sunburn. Besides my legs are much more scarry to look at than my face which many find scarry to begin with.

What I don't like about them is that they are kind of baggy down by my skinny ankles so when I am wading up in a strong current it feels like a dragging a weight with me. Then because I am short legged and can't get pant lengths the right length, the ends of the legs start dragging on the ground. I fixed the problem by wrapping my gravel guards over them. Not very a very sexy look but there many other problems in that respect. Besides its fishing.
One pair has zip up pant legs cuffs so that you can easy remove the pant leg with hiking shoes on. It does not work for wading boots. They are just too big. Also, You have to be careful to get the zip of the zipper in the right spot otherwise it rubs against you leg when you are using the gravel guards. Otherwise it will quickly feel like it is wearing a hole in you leg.

Yup, I don't take the pant legs off very often. Mostly like the rip stop light weight breathable quick drying features of them.
[signature]
What would a reasonably priced pair of these cost and where would you buy them?? Ive seen all price ranges .. dont want to go too cheap but dont want to break the bank either...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]Hey Mac I have three pair and like Scruffy_Fly said they can be kind of baggy. Best deals can be found at Big 5, like for lest than $20 on sale.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Ill have to check them out.. I figure even baggy they would work well on that small stream in TN in a few weeks.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Most of mine are the nylon "convertible" pants/shorts. I almost never unzip the legs.

I like them for hiking and wading. They are very lightweight, good spf rating, and dry quickly. On small streams I use my crocs to wad in and either use an elastic/velco strap or just a rubber band on the pants around the ankle area. A lot of the time I prefer to use the elastic to hike the pants up over my knees and keep them there while I am in the water and then back down over my legs as I do a little brush beating. That way my pants are usually dry and out of my way, but it is a scary sight -- best to fish wilderness areas! [blush]

I watch for sales and usually get them for about $20. If you can try them on. Different brands can really make a difference in the size you need.
[signature]
where have you been able to get them on sale.. Ive checked several sites and see them for between 25.00 and 60.00 dollars.. but not knowing one from the other Im not sure which one is a good buy or not.. [crazy]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
mac, a good buy are ones that fit right and at a reasonable cost. 50$ seams like a reasonable price.

A great buy are ones that fit right and cost $30.

Trouble is until you wear um ya in the water you can't tell for sure that they fit right.

REI had some on sale for 39 dollars or less but they were a 32" inseam. too long for me. probably too short for you.
[signature]
I should clarify that in no way will these pants double as rain pants or take the place of regular waders if you don't want to get wet. It really depends on what you are expecting and how you plan on using them. I should also mention that with polypro insulation underneath, static cling is unreal![sly]

They are simply a thin nylon pair of pants that drys quickly. Some of them are water resistant and will do a fairly good job as rain pants, but I wouldn't compare them to something like frog toggs.

I have gotten different kinds over the years on sale at Sportsman's, Cabela's, and REI. I have a number of pairs because I use them for a little more than just fishing.

I have a pair of Columbia's that resist wrinkles, fit nice, and look nice, but are not water resistant. I use them a lot just because they are comfortable and I like the color. -- Its a girl thing!

I have a pair of Redington's. They are not water resistant, fit ok, and wrinkle if packed tight.

I also have two pair from Cabela's one that is water resistant and one that isn't. The one that is water resistant I really like in every way except the color isn't my fav. (Its a girl thing again![blush])
The other pair is ok too, but tend to wrinkle.

I also have a $12 pair of Dakota Grizzly's that I like. They don't wrinkle bad, but I had to buy a different size than usual when I tried them on. I had to go smaller which is nice for the ego, but bad if you are just picking them up off the shelf.

That all being said --- it is probably no help at all to you, because all of these are older and different versions of nylon pants than what you will be looking at. What I want to point out is that there is a lot of variety out there and look around. The cheaper pairs have been great for a lot of my hiking and other activities. I have noticed that the water resistant materials are showing up more. Get that if you plan on doing hiking or don't want the wet brush to soak you, but for under waders etc the others are ok.

Hope this helps.
[signature]
I too have the Redington, but I bought the mens for the length.
32" too long...man how would it be! 36" here, and really no such thing.
I do go with the 34".
My favorite are the ex officio from Orvis (back when they owned them) but there were around $129. (remember I worked for them, but I still would buy them)
They are the same ones REI has on sale for $75.

One thing I do have several of and they work just as well except lack of pockets, and that is SCRUBS. Like $10. a pair.
[signature]
[#ff40a0]FG wrote:[/#ff40a0]
[#ff40a0][/#ff40a0]
[#ff40a0]One thing I do have several of and they work just as well except lack of pockets, and that is SCRUBS. Like $10. a pair.
------------------[/#ff40a0]

I presume the scrubs are the camoflaged ones - ie, multi-colored flowery print [cool] rather than the hot pink ones.
[signature]
LMAO...I am so over the PINK phase. Besides, PINK and RED HAIR....PLLLLEEEAAASE!

Grey ones, and Olive ones with one pair of tan. One pair of Brown, three black and one pair of HOT yellow for those CRAZY daze[laugh][laugh]

Bit Yellow is my color.
[signature]
actually 32' inseam is perfect.. LOL...

Ill keep looking .. want to get some for my upcoming trip to TN...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
thanks for the info and insight...

my intent or thought is to use them while wading in a small river in TN in a few weeks... it would be nice if they were water proof but not gonna complain if they are not... the idea of them protecting my legs as I wander up and down the shoreline is also attractive...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
as in hospital scrubs???

MacFly [cool]
[signature]