Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEED HELP
I go to kings canyon national park (CA) every year. I usually fish with spinning rods but this year my cousin too me fly fishing and i loved it. I want to start fly fishing and

I need help on a reasonable price rod and reel for someone who knows how to fly fish, so wouldn't be considered a beginner but i haven't mastered fly fishing yet.

I also need help on what flies to use for rainbow trout and brown trout in the western sierras.

ALSO A BIG THANKS IN ADVANCE.

[fly fishing]
[signature]
You'll find all the answers to all those questions by reading old posts. And you'll learn exactly what questions to ask. You see you have asked very vague questions i.e. what to use for rainbows? Um... where? Stillwater, small/big rivers, on top, on bottom?

Read a whole bunch of old posts and you'll get a better feel for the sport.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!
[signature]
hiya 1tuber.. welcome to the forum... its good to see a new fly flinger on the forum...

what 1tuber said is true there are numerous posts on this very topic.. a search will get you to a lot of good information.. but..

in general the type of rod you get (length, wt, action etc) is dependent on several factors...

what type of fish will you be going for predominantly.. next would be what type of water will you be fishing.... still water, rivers, salt etc... each has their own unique variances...

again.. flies to be used will depend on the water you will be fishing, will you be top water fishing, nymphing, dry flies.. etc..

will you be shore fishing, wading, tubing.. all of these make a difference as well..

the more details you can give us the more accurate feedback we can give you...

again welcome to the forum and hope to see more posts from you in the future..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Welcome here as well. Tell us more about you.
[signature]
In regards to Kings Canyon, do a google search for "steven ojai fly fishing" (can't post a link here) for a fly fishing site dedicated to fly fishing the Sierra's. Go to the "Maps" link and then "West Side Sierra". You're interested in the SF Kings River portion. He'll give you all the flies, best times, etc.

Regarding equipment, once you tell us where all you think you might go (besides Kings Canyon), we can give some more details.

Where do you live?

Jim
[signature]
I think flygodess u might no me from the the float tubing forum. I'm 12 years old and i am OBSESSED with fishing i started fishing at 6 months old in a baby carrier. my mom and dad helping me real in a rainbow.

When i was graduating preschool they asked what do u wanna be when u grow up everyone said things like doctor or police man but i said i wanna be a tuna fish man and everyone laughed...

Now I'm in seventh grade and do it as and addiction or a passion i like fish and release. i like the fish do get bigger. If I don't fish every week its like I'm not normal! lol
[signature]
U doing great kid ! You remind me of myself when I was
in your age. I did not have all the cool fishing stuff
like you do but I did have that crazy obsession like
you do.
Just keep at it and you will be rewarded in many
different ways. You'll see....................[Wink]

Peter
[signature]
1tuber...you are my new hero for sure. Keep at it, I love your reports.
[signature]