Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nightcrawler solution
We i was a kid my freind had this stuff that you would mix about a cup full of this liquid solution with fifty gallons of water and dump on your lawn, within a few minutes a bunch of worms would rise to the top and we would gather them up.
Does anybody know about this stuff, what it is called, and where to get some, or possibly make your own. Any help would be great.
[signature]
Bleach will do it. I don't know the proportions and I suspect it would have to be very diluted to avoid killing the worms.
[signature]
When I was a kid we had a worm stick.
It was a stick with a bunch of small notches cut in it. We would water the lawn for a few, then drive the stick a few inches into the ground, then run another stick up and down the worm stick real fast. The worms think the vibrations are a mole digging near them and run for the surface where we would be waiting to pick them up.
[signature]
I want somthing that wont harm my lawn
[signature]
A long long time ago my dad and I used simple dish soap and water. WE made it in a bucket then poured it out on the lawn and they came right up
[signature]
Fellow at work here was telling me they used to pour some sort of liquid (he didn't remember what it was - I'll followup - if he can ask his dad/bros) and then they'd take a car-battery and push electrodes into the ground, and that would drive them out. Could have been some sort of electrolyte (salt) solution - to allow the current to flow.

I have leaves as mulch on a garden plot. Moving the leaves aside, and digging down gets into tons of worms, especially as it's been SO wet!

I like the worm-stick idea. I'll have to get my boy to try that in the garden! My daughter was even getting into finding worms with me as we planted the garden. Long as she had her gloves on!

Saw a show about worm-farming. Said if you put them in peat - it irritates their skin, so they work really hard to break it down, and hence - fattens them up quick. Haven't tried it, but mean to - many of the wrigglers we find are mid-sized. Believe they're happiest around 40 degrees or so.
[signature]
You can make an electrical current that will drive them up out of the lawn too. Take a cheap extension cord, like the one for christmas lights, and cut the female end off the cord. Split the two sides of the wire about 3 feet up, and shave off the plastic/rubber coating from the copper wires inside. Tape the copper wire to the metal hangers with electrical tape. Then you stick the wire hangers in the ground, spacing them abut 3 feet from each other. Go plug the electric cord in the wall. Wait for 5 minutes, unplug the contraption, and go pick the worms up!

I am not sure if you would get zapped walking around the wire hangers while the current is running, but I wouldn't tempt fate. Also, if you put the hangers too close together it kills the worms once they come out of the ground.

This does not kill you lawn either.
[signature]
laundry detergent or dish soap work on them, just hose it to bubble it up a bit on the grass.

if you want to save your lawn, use the worm stick or grunt them up. there are pervious threads on grunting. or just go pick them up after you water your lawn.

I plan tonight to grunt up some worms. I will try to get some video of it and see what i can do to get it posted.
[signature]
There are a lot of people around here that make a LOT of $$$ picking worms.. they use "Crawler Caller" its safe.. fine for your grass.. etc... 1/4 cup in 55 gal .. and we can get 10lbs of warms in about 2 hrs... 3.50 a lb kids make LOTS of Cash during the summer.. hope that helps.
[signature]
That would be cool Badfish to see someone Local on here do that. The video would be awesome. i have seen some on the net of both grunting as well as electricity, but its cool that you are willing to post a local one.

Shawn
[signature]
[#000050]The best way to get them up is dress your wife in a bikini and waders and send her out to sing them up............Sorry, you will only get males..[cool][/#000050]
[signature]
That's for a different worm youre trying to get up!! [Wink]
[signature]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK-Oo7NwPiQ

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/dirty-jo...nting.html

Hope this works I am trying it out tonight
[signature]
Any idea where i acn get some of those notched sticks?
[signature]
hey man where do u get that crawler caller stuff, also do you know what it is made out of.
[signature]
Its a big business here in Star Valley wyoming.. Its safe stuff (my kids are the ones who use it) it doesnt kill the grass etc.. but Ill have to look at a bottle when I get home and Ill tell you whats in it in the next day or so when I get a chance.
[signature]
i ask the guy at custom sports in hyde park and he told me they no longer make it and it has actually been outlawed because of mis-use by to many people.
Dont know for sure if its true but figured id let people know incase they know something differnt.

If anyone knows where to get some let me know.
[signature]
Watched some of those videos - and had to show my boy. We don't have the right kind of steel bar (was gonna try a metal-wood file), so improvised with a piece of oak trim hammered into the ground, and rubbing a length of weathered 2x4 across the top.

It actually worked. First one up was a fatty! (hope he'll help us FIND a fatty!). But I think it's like all those fishing shows I watch. Then go out and do it for a bunch of hours, then showed an editted 10 minutes, and buckets of worms.

For as much work as it took rubbing and trying to get a good "grunting" frequency (faster, slower) I could have dug a hole and come up with more worms by picking through.
But it was fun to try, and see - IT'S WORKING! We'll probably keep practicing. Maybe early morning or late at night!

I wonder what running my air compressor against the ground would do. Or maybe rig some air hammer tools to pound the ground.
[signature]