Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a couple of floating firsts
My wife and kids bought me a new double action hand pump for my float tube last night. I decided to get up this morning and try it out at my favorite Utah lake...Utah Lake. I slept in a little and didn't launch until 7 am. Those of you that know me know that I mainly fish for crappie and brim. I love just about every species in Utah Lake except for the carp so I went out armed with an assortment of small (hair/tube/curly tail) jigs. I caught a couple of nice crappie right off the bat. I wasn't too worried about keeping anything today so I didn't take a picture of these. I decided to use a slip bobber with a 1/64 oz. tube jig (red/black/chart. surprising I know) under it. Typically I can find the depth the crappie are holding, set my depth with the slip bobber, and put them hurt on them. All of the sudden my bobber sank like a rock. I set the hook and I thought I was hung up on something under the docks I was fishing.
Nope. Docks don't tear line off your reel so it is singing like a scalded dog. Thirty minutes later, I pulled in a huge channel cat. I didn't think my 4 lb. test would hold but it did! I was using a total ultra-light setup and I got quite possibly the biggest catfish I have ever caught. This was the first time I caught a channel cat on an ultralight (first number one) AND the first channel cat from my float tube (first numero dos). It was great fun but I was worn out! I let the kitty go back because he looked like he had some parasites (leeches?) attached to his face and down his body. You can kind of see them in one of the attached pics. I kicked back into the shallows and caught about 5 more Angry bluegill who were ticked about getting pulled off their beds. I put em all back so you can take a shot at them. Can't wait to catch another kitty on 4 lb test!
[signature]
Nice Cat ! That guy is huge.
Thank you for sharing.

Peter
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like you plain had too much fun. Better check the regulations to see if that is legal.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is fairly common to find small leeches on the skin and fins of catfish. They look gross but do not hurt the fish or will not transfer to humans. The fish are still edible but it is usually best to toss back the bigguns anyway...especially the big males. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
It was absolutely too much fun...and I can't wait to get out and try it again.
At some point in time (and I don't remember exactly when), I realized that I didn't need to keep every legal fish I caught. Especially the bigguns! When we are talking catfish, I like to keep bullheads and the ~18 inch cookie cutter channels. They sure are delicious. The bigguns can go back and make more bigguns. I like catching a bunch but I only keep what will get eaten. The rest go back for everyone else to catch. Besides, I was so tired after being drug around by that catfish for 30 minutes, I wanted some grub and a nap![:p][:p][:p]
[signature]
Good job on the cat. I have been using a ultra light for about a year on cats. In a tube or toon you can do a lot with 4 pound test. I have landed several 10 pound cats this year with 4 pound test. You will like it better every time you do it. Ron
[signature]