Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
150 feet rule
this will likely get moved but more would view it here before it does, and since someone made mention of people buzzing the shore line.

i would like to thank the fat ass idiot's on the jet ski's today at willard in the NE corner who absolutely had to buzz me. you guys came so close to me, the fat guy in the front was wearing a Stearns Jacket and the guy on the back (yes you looked gay) was wearing a Lotus. next time you leave the north marina look to your right, you will see a sign that clearly states the distance and speed when next to someone. if you thought it was cute that you gave me the finger when i took the 4 pictures of your reg. number, i wasn't laughing. i am emailing your pictures to the address provided by the individuals that work the gate's and i do sincerely hope you read BFT.

Hugs!!!
[signature]
I wonder if they were the same two yahoos we watched chasing 2 pelicans this afternoon on the north end of freeway bay. We didn't get a chance to get their reg numbers but they passed by way too close to us while chasing a couple of glorious birds.
[signature]
You did the right thing.
[signature]
You crack me up!!! Fat gay guy on jet ski!!! LMAO!!! Pick up one of your rods and flip a big ol lure toward them. If you hit one they are toooooo close. The camera thing works also. I will be packin tomorrow, 300mm on the cannon!![Wink]
[signature]
This is why you always have a spinning rod with a several ounce metal lure with treble hooks ready to go[Wink]
[signature]
Zac you should post their pictures on the site maybe some one will recognize them. Some people might even be interested in contacting the guy in the rear. LMAO.[:p]
[signature]
Funny thing about the 150' law....if there is no wake, then they are legal...but a jet ski?! Probably was breaking the law. If the guy is fat, then it would need to go fast to stay afloat...right?! LOL
[signature]
And I thought you were a fisherman. A 6' stiff rod, with an Abu Garcia AmbasSador bait caster and a 1/2 ounce to an ounce egg sinker is a must in any fishermans arsenal. Whether you need it for that jet skier or the idiot who likes to shoot through Wiper boils the reaction when the line crosses their bow or touches their skin is priceless.

Good hunting![cool]
[signature]
jet skis...I have rode one, they are fun but a wake is a wake and being closer than 150' to a fisherman cradling the shoreline (or open water I suppose) is just ignorant. I would think you would understand that. I'm in a 20' boat most of the time but if I were in my pontoon fishing and a jet ski came closer than that with or without a wake I would pitch a bitch.
[signature]
[quote fsh4fun05] jet skis...I have rode one, they are fun but a wake is a wake and being closer than 150' to a fisherman cradling the shoreline (or open water I suppose) is just ignorant. I would think you would understand that. I'm in a 20' boat most of the time but if I were in my pontoon fishing and a jet ski came closer than that with or without a wake I would pitch a bitch.[/quote]

Back it up - I fully understand that. We may not like it, but again if no wake, no law has been broken.
[signature]
[quote fsh4fun05] jet skis...I have rode one, they are fun but a wake is a wake and being closer than 150' to a fisherman cradling the shoreline (or open water I suppose) is just ignorant. I would think you would understand that. I'm in a 20' boat most of the time but if I were in my pontoon fishing and a jet ski came closer than that with or without a wake I would pitch a bitch.[/quote]
And being a boat owner, you should know the rules- especially what is a wake and what is wakeless. It's real easy to look up Utah boating rules. Scroll down to paragraph 10 - I highlighted it in red. If they're wakeless, you can't do jack about it- they're legal. But if they're causing a wake you can get the reg numbers and report them. The big problem that I've observed, is that PWC riders don't think that the boating laws apply to them. If I'm fishing out of my kickboat and a waverunner is crusing by (no wake) at less than 150' they have as much right to the water as the rest of us. Once they cause a wake, then it's a different story. Kocanut did the right thing by taking pictures and reporting the guy. If you start chucking lead at them and hit one causing an accident or hurting them, you're opening your self up for criminal charges and a lawsuit.
But I know, talk is cheap. Right?
[size 3]73-18-15.1. Vessel navigation and steering laws.
[left](1) The operator of a vessel shall maintain a proper lookout by sight and hearing at all times to avoid the risk of collision.
[left](2) When the operators of two motorboats approach each other where there is risk of collision, each operator shall alter course to the right and pass on the left side of the other.
[left](3) When the operators of two motorboats are crossing paths and are at risk of a collision, the operator of the vessel that has the other vessel on its right side shall keep out of the way and yield right-of-way if necessary.
[left](4) The operator of any vessel overtaking any other vessel shall keep out of the way of the vessel being overtaken.
[left](5) The operator of a vessel underway shall keep out of the way of a:
[left](a) Vessel not under command;
[left](b) Vessel restricted in its ability to maneuver;
[left]© Vessel engaged in fishing; and
[left](d) Sailing vessel.
[left](6) If the operator of one of two vessels is to keep out of the way, the other vessel operator shall maintain his course and speed unless it becomes apparent the other vessel is not taking the appropriate action.
[left](7) In narrow channels an operator of a vessel underway shall keep to the right of the middle of the channel.
[left](8) The operator of a vessel shall proceed at a safe speed at all times so that the operator can take proper and effective action to avoid collision and be stopped within a distance appropriate to the prevailing circumstances or conditions.
[left](9)(a) When the operators of two sailboats are approaching one another so as to involve risk of collision, one of the operators shall keep out of the way of the other as follows:
[left](i) When each has the wind on a different side, the operator of the vessel that has the wind on the left side shall keep out of the way of the other;
[left](ii) When both have the wind on the same side, the operator of the vessel that is to the windward shall keep out of the way of the vessel that is to leeward; and
[/size][font "Arial,Helvetica"][size 1][font "Arial,Helvetica"][size 1]40
[/size][/font][/size][/font][size 3]
[left](iii) If the operator of a vessel with the wind on the left side sees a vessel to windward and cannot determine with certainty whether the other vessel has the wind on the left or on the right side, the operator shall keep out of way of the other vessel.
[left](b) For purposes of this Subsection (9), the windward side shall be the side opposite that on which the mainsail is carried.
[left][#bf0000]([/#bf0000][#ff4040]10) The operator of any vessel may not exceed a wakeless speed when within 150 feet of: [/#ff4040]
[left][#ff4040](a) Another vessel; [/#ff4040]
[left][#ff4040](b) A person in or floating on the water; [/#ff4040]
[left][#ff4040]© A water skier being towed by another boat; [/#ff4040]
[left][#ff4040](d) A water skier that had been towed behind the operator’s vessel unless the skier is still surfing or riding in an upright stance on the wake created by the vessel; [/#ff4040]
[left][#ff4040](e) A water skier that had been towed behind another vessel and the skier is still surfing or; [/#ff4040]
[left][#ff4040](f) A shore fisherman; [/#ff4040]
[left][#ff4040](g) A launching ramp; [/#ff4040]
[left][#ff4040](h) A dock; or [/#ff4040]
[left][#ff4040](i) A designated swimming area [/#ff4040]
[left][#ff4040](11) The operator of a motorboat is responsible for any damage or injury caused by the wake produced by the operator’s motorboat. [/#ff4040]
[/size]
[signature]
Here is the definition of "wakeless" for you Flygoddess

[size 3](15) "Wakeless speed" means an operating speed at which the vessel does not create or make a wake or white water trailing the vessel. [#ff0000]This speed is not in excess of five miles per hour. [/#ff0000][/size]
[size 3][#ff0000][/#ff0000][/size]
[size 3][#000000]Backed up![/#000000]
[#ff0000][/#ff0000]

[/size]
[signature]
[quote Troll]Here is the definition of "wakeless" for you Flygoddess

[size 3](15) "Wakeless speed" means an operating speed at which the vessel does not create or make a wake or white water trailing the vessel. [#ff0000]This speed is not in excess of five miles per hour. [/#ff0000][/size]
[size 3][#ff0000][/#ff0000][/size]
[size 3][#000000]Backed up![/#000000]
[#ff0000][/#ff0000]

[/size][/quote]
Seems to me that she knows that and posted it already. Are all you guys thick in the brick? By back it up means to go back and read her post. Not 'back up' what you're saying.
[signature]
Exactly... "Back IT up" (first of the sentence not in the sentence as a description) meaning everyone is so quick to jump my $H&^.
Come on guys, I have no idea how much the women in your lives know about boating and fishing, but please give me a little more credit.
I am WELL aware of what wakeless speed is...been on the water a few times in my life. Even had a ski boat at one time..

Back to the topic.
[signature]
I have no idea what the hell you are talking about buddy. Flygoddess seemed to question a jet ski making a wake in her post and I answered that. Why you feel the need to lecture me on anything I haven't figured out yet. Did I hurt your feelings somehow? Did I miss something?
Also, did you really need to feel the need to call me a dumb ass? For something I never even said or implied? You are just about as ignorant as these water sport enthusiasts with a comment like that. Think first and then type, you'll be amazed what the end result is.
[signature]
Okay, I now see how you misread my post. A jet ski can go wakeless, but the chances they were is really slim.
I took offense to the " I would think you would understand that " comment, and I think Mojorising took it the same way.

As far as the five miles an hour thing....I would like to know where you came up with this answer Troll. We had a mid engine ski boat that hardly made a wake until we hit the throttle and I have a friend that has a jet boat that leaves NO wake at 10 miles an hour. And my Pontoon will leave a wake at 3 miles an hour, so I think it is up to the boat and hull design, don't you.

To me...wake is the V in the water behind you[Wink] The one I use to LOVE to jump on a slalom ski [cool]

Sorry the post took a turn in another direction, but, and I don't feel it should have if my post wasn't read wrong and I didn't read any of what you posted in Mojo's post
[signature]
First of all, I don't see any lecturing. And yes you aparently did miss something. The complete context of the post. As for hurt my feelings? How did you come to that conclusion?
Second of all, if people that frequent this site would read a complete post before flying off the handle, then you and possibly others would understand that I called no one in particular a dumb a$$. (Although I'm about to change my mind) In fact, here is what I said- even though it's been edited by wiperhunter2
[#bf0000][/#bf0000][#ff0000]"[/#ff0000][#bf0000]If you start chucking lead at them and hit one causing an accident or hurting them, you're opening your (dumb a**) self up for criminal charges and a lawsuit."[/#bf0000]
And once again it was directed at NO ONE. Just a generalization. The first part of my post was directed to you and in no way lecturing you or anyone..
Again, here's what I directed to YOU.
"And being a boat owner, you should know the rules- especially what is a wake and what is wakeless. It's real easy to look up Utah boating rules. Scroll down to paragraph 10 - I highlighted it in red. If they're wakeless, you can't do jack about it- they're legal. But if they're causing a wake you can get the reg numbers and report them."
The rest of the post was a general comment. If I hurt your feelings, I apologize.

And lastly, here's Flygoddess' quote, which I fail to read her questioning whether or not the jet ski was making a wake- Again, just a generalization. And she hit the nail on the head if you ask me.
[#4040ff]"Funny thing about the 150' law....if there is no wake, then they are legal...but a jet ski?! Probably was breaking the law. [/#4040ff][#4040ff]If the guy is fat, then it would need to go fast to stay afloat...right?! LOL "[/#4040ff]
[#000000]Looks like an answer and a little humor to me.[/#000000]

And FWIW, your last sentence is the pot calling the kettle black, don't you think? [#4040ff]

[/#4040ff]
[signature]
Yes, I also misread your post (as you admitted could be done) that you were defending a jet ski or any boat on the basis that as long as no wake was being made, speed did not matter. It does.
Now, read the law as I posted it, cut and pasted right off the DWR 2010 boating law.

[url "http://static.stateparks.utah.gov/docs/BoatingCode.pdf"]http://static.stateparks.utah.gov/docs/BoatingCode.pdf[/url]

It's at the top of page 2 under definitions. Page 7 of the PDF file.

[size 3](15) "Wakeless speed" means an operating speed at which the vessel does not create or make a wake or white water trailing the vessel. This speed is not in excess of five miles per hour.
[/size]

I don't care if it's an oil tanker or a racing tunnel hull, wakeless is never in excess of 5mph. Even though your friends jetboat leaves no wake at 10 mph, anything in excess of 5mph in a wakeless zone is subject to ticketing.
Your pontoon motorized? Then even at 3mph, you are leaving a wake in a wakeless zone. I do think it would take a real jerk to ticket a pontoon being propelled at 3 mph by an electric motor that is leaving a wake, but you never know. A wake is a wake and can be created by either the back or the front of a boat, ever been passed by a barge? The front wake is almost always larger than the back wake.

Now then, it has nothing to do with you being a woman, I call out whoever I think is wrong and I admit when I'm wrong. I also always "back up" my claims with links to references.
See, the internet and Google are wonderful things for people with a "know it all attitude" like the one I have. I don't post up until I have done my research and have the facts complete with links.

So, back it up, yourself, as in retreat, go back to a previous, ect, ect.
So, then, there, Mojorising, I guess "back it up" depends on ones definition of "it" and I guess we can refer back to Bill Clinton for that, can't we.
[signature]