Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
boulder mountain lakes
I'm going to southern Utah to hit some of the lakes that I've fished for years and would love to make it up to Boulder Mountain and fish but there are so many lakes and I dont have a clue which ones to hit. Any ideas on which of the lakes I should fish if Im after some monster brookies? I'm a catch and release only fisherman and will take both a spin and fly pole. I would sure appreciate any info...Thanks all..
[signature]
P.M. me and I can probably throw you a bone or two.
[signature]
Try out Lower bowns....
[signature]
i will thank you...
[signature]
[quote mintenman] Any ideas on which of the lakes I should fish if Im after some monster brookies?[/quote]

If only it were that simple....
[signature]
MG has big brookies but doesn't mean you'll catch one.

My biggest brook doesn't come from Boulder.
[signature]
[quote hedgesd]Mcgath has big brookies but doesn't mean you'll catch one.

My biggest brook doesn't come from Boulder.[/quote] My gawd P.M,s please!
[signature]
Not much of secret with MG or Blind or U/L Oak Creek or Posey. If the new guy actually did a search or called a few agencies he would get the same 5-6 lakes to try.

BG1 is that a request.
[signature]
Yup just a courtesy request. I don't own the Mountain, just care about it enough that when certain lake names come up in open forum conversations the hairs on the back of my neck sort of stand up. Not like were talking about some common easy access place like Strawberry or something. Let folks find their spots the old fashioned way, earn it! Sorry, the Boulders are just a sacred place to me, and right or wrong, I'm protective of them. I've done my homework and then my legwork to find those places for over 25 years, and somehow I expect others to do the same. I know times have changed and honey holes are less secret than in years past, so I'll try and get over it.
Rant over, BG1.
[signature]
If you are after a decent sized brook trout I wouldn't fish the Boulders. Maybe in the 70's or 80's, but the ATV crowd pretty much ruined the Boulders. McGath has three different ATV routes into it. Not much of a secret, not much of an effort to get there on an ATV. Fish 1000 Lakes Mountain a couple lakes there hold bigger brook trout than the Boulders these day.
[signature]

[signature]
[quote Liprippa]If you are after a decent sized brook trout I wouldn't fish the Boulders. Maybe in the 70's or 80's, but the ATV crowd pretty much ruined the Boulders. McGath has three different ATV routes into it. Not much of a secret, not much of an effort to get there on an ATV. Fish 1000 Lakes Mountain a couple lakes there hold bigger brook trout than the Boulders these day.[/quote]Hey Liprippa, How about Liplocka!!
[signature]
No doubt...
[signature]
BG1 request granted. I do understand how you feel about this mtn. after 25 years. I go for the leg work and enjoy solitude a little sweat brings. Lazy internet fisherman don't know how rough this mtn. is and rarely get past lakes they can drive to on good roads.
[signature]
Relax,
It's not like every guide service in the area doesn't list 1000 Lakes on their website and offer trips. I don't call them up and complain. Without specifics it's a whole lot of ground to cover. Besides they're just brookies[Wink] OK, no one get mad at me but if you want to catch really big brookies I have one word of advise - Labrador[Tongue]
[signature]
Oh of coarse. Just spend $2500.00 and run up to Labrador, where a 5# brook trout doesn't even raise an eyebrow. It's all relative bud. Utah has the best brook trout fishing in the United States, and here a 5# brook trout is rather nice, and is every bit the accomplishment a 9# brook trout is in Labrador or Quebec.
[signature]
I'd be happy with a 2# brookie... but I don't have the money to go trekking to the best places.[frown] They are beautiful though and I've been told that they eat much better then any other trout. Catch, release, and conserve is my fishing angle but do you think I would enjoy serving some brooks to my family? I eat rainbows and browns a few times a year because they're decent if they are done right but I really do prefer perch, crappie.... etc. Do you think that brookies are on par?
[signature]
If caught out of cold waters where they feed on scuds brook trout are by far the best eating trout, IMO. The flesh is bright orange and smells like watermelon! Now it's not going to be like your white flaky-fleshed meat like perch, walleye, or crappie, but just as deliciuos in a different way.
[signature]
I have tried to stay out of this thread, but I have to agree with BG1. Brook trout are generally found in high clear cold waters. No mud cats here. They have beautiful flesh. If you enjoy Salmon, you will like brook trout. Taking some of the smaller ones is good for the population as well. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but in my mind perch are good for bait. I like brookies.
[signature]
And what is your advise?[Image: dumb.gif]
[signature]